05 Flowers And Thorns Alike

A cold night descended upon all of the land of Ever After. The moon was a crescent and was shining bright amongst the star-studded sky.

Sitting on top of a hill was a huge castle-like building. Ever After High.

It was already past curfew for the students, but one of them couldn't sleep. Not tonight.

Briar Beauty, the daughter of Sleeping Beauty, was in her PJ's and was standing in front of her window. Gazing out into the unknown and thinking of something.

Being cut off from the binds of destiny by choosing to being a Rebel instead of a Royal way back during Thronecoming was a relief for her. She does not want to sleep for a century anymore. Even if it will guarantee her a happily ever after, she threw that chance away.

She knew that during the time she's asleep, she would lose all of her friends…her family…Everyone she cared for would be gone by the time she wakes up.

She may be seen as this wild party girl, but her heart is not as wild as her always outgoing personality. No one had made her heart skip a beat yet.

Or that's what she thought.

She may be this narcoleptic soul that falls asleep in almost every single place she goes to, but that part of her is not active right now. She was thinking about something.

Or, someone.

Something had happened earlier that day. Something she never would have thought would ever happen to her.

~~~

It was a typical morning at Ever After High. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky.

Briar was walking through the halls to her first class, Crownculus. And though it was early in the morning, she's already wearing her crown glasses to conceal the bored expression that can be clearly seen through her eyes. Who wouldn't be like that when you have a math subject for the first hour?

The click clack of her heels were also heavy, indicating that she was tired. But no one would question it if she ever ends up falling asleep on the floor this early in the morning. It's her thing.

A soft jab of an elbow to her shoulder pulled her focus back to a hundred percent.

"Careful, Beauty," a female voice got her attention. "You wouldn't want to sleep on the floor and end up messing up your clothes this early in the morning."

Briar let out a forced chuckle and looked at the girl beside her, only to see Faybelle Thorn, the daughter of the Dark Fairy, hovering beside her. "It's my thing, Fay," she replied.

"But it isn't your thing to be this droopy," Faybelle commented, gesturing at the girl's nearly slumped figure. "You're more lively than this."

"And am I supposed to listen to the dark fairy's advice?" Briar asked, raising an eyebrow as she pushed the crown glasses to the top of her head.

Faybelle rolled her eyes. "Good morning to you too," she spoke in annoyance as she stopped flapping her wings and landed on the ground.

Briar only shook her head with a small frown. Faybelle saw this and immediately pulled them into the janitor's closet that they had just passed.

"Hey!" Briar whined as Faybelle locked the door behind them.

"Seriously, what happened to you?" Faybelle asked, looking into her eyes. "And I won't hesitate on being nice this one time."

"Nothing. Nothing," Briar spoke, looking down to avoid the dark fairy's gaze. Her dark fairy's gaze, considering they're situated at the same fairytale.