02 Lost Smile

Kitty Cheshire, the daughter of the Cheshire Cat, has been feeling a bit down lately. Down, in a way that whenever she grins to use her powers, her smile never really reaches to her eyes.

The usual glint of mischievousness had been pretty absent for the past few weeks.

Alistair, Bunny, Maddie, and Lizzie – her friends from Wonderland – have all noticed her strange behavior, but they never really talked about it. Since the young Cheshire pretty much avoided their questions the first few times.

Now, Kitty is up on a tree, not caring if she missed another Science and Sorcery lesson. She could end up having triple detention, but she doesn’t care.

Spinning straw into gold was all she got from Professor Rumpelstiltskin anyway. Faybelle Thorn, the daughter of the dark fairy, has already booked the ‘cleaning the unicorn stables’ duty for the rest of the month. Again.

Kitty looked down, trying to fall asleep by looking at the green grass under the tree branch that she was on.

But the rebel wasn’t going to fall asleep any time soon.

Her thoughts were filled with images of a certain black and red haired girl. And certain flashes of memories of the said girl yelling her signature line.

Elizabeth Hearts. Often called as “Lizzie Hearts” by their peers.

She’s the girl that flooded Kitty’s thoughts.

And caught Kitty’s heart, apparently.

The young Cheshire had grown a liking towards the future Queen of Hearts ever since they were little.

“Off with your head!” Kitty could hear her in her mind, recalling the times she would yell it. Like that one time when Lizzie was called to Madame Yaga’s office to convince Raven Queen, the daughter of the Evil Queen, to become evil. Kitty was there, watching her from the shadows. Being invisible to everyone.

“Off with their buds!” Kitty hears again, recalling the events of the recent True Hearts day. Lizzie had been cutting off the flowers from their stalks while they were being held by a long array of hopeless romantics. Hopeless romantics who were only trying to give a bouquet of flowers to the girl of their dreams, but stumbled upon the young Hearts and got their dreams crushed.

Kitty let out a light chuckle as the memory of the scene flashed before her eyes.

But she frowned again, knowing that she wasn’t alone in this ‘Game of Love’, as others would call it.

Daring Charming. The eldest son of King Charming. And Apple White’s supposed Prince Charming.

You know, before everything went down because of the ‘kiss’ that had gone wrong. Revealing that he wasn’t the Prince Charming that was supposed to save her to complete their destiny.

But enough about that.

Daring was still the other player.

And Kitty could still remember that day the two had decided to date in secret like it was yesterday.

Flashback
Kitty was at Hocus Latte, hiding by the tree that was in the middle of the café building, and listening into the conversation of Sparrow, Hopper, and Daring from down below.

“Come on, Sparrow. Give me a real challenge!” Daring spoke, pointing finger guns at the son of Robin Hood before sitting back down on his cushioned chair. He was obviously not fazed by the first one he was given.

“I’m betting you can’t get a date with the next girl that walks through that door.” Sparrow replied, jabbing his thumb over to the direction of the door.