Prologue

A month and a half into Summer Break…

In the distance, two motorcycles could be heard riding up the drive of the Webster sheep farm. As Christian Reed got off of his bike, he walked to the front door waiting on his father to get off his. Then after Ralf had started to walk up the steps leading to the door, his son knocked on the door.

"Are you sure they know we're coming?" The older man asked his son. The skater nodded his head, "Yeah, I talked to Tara. She said her parents were fine with housing us for a few nights considering it's her birthday."

Ralf look at his son with a sly smirk on his face. "Why do I get the feeling you're not telling me something?"

Christian was about to retort when a hopping sound came behind the two people. Turning around, he leaned down and picked up a small kangaroo.

"Hi Joey," Then the skater glanced at his father and saw the look he was giving him. "Okay I might have been here last summer."

Before the older man could say something, the door swung open and there stood Hannah Webster.

"Christian," She moved to hug him. Cradling the young kangaroo in one arm, the skater returned the hug. "Hi, Mrs. Webster."

As she ushered them inside the house; she said, "I see you found Joey."

"More like Joey found us." Christian muttered.

"Ah, yes he and my daughter have missed you." His girlfriend's mother laughed.

"Joey doesn't like Kat?" The skater scratched the young kangaroo's ears. To which the small animal, snuggled more into the eighteen year old's touch.

"He does, but he doesn't seem as taken by her as he does you." The woman explained as Ralf cleared his throat a little.

"Oh sorry," Christian said turning a little to glance over his shoulder; "Mrs. Webster this is my father, Ralf Reed. Ralf this is Tara's mother, Hannah Webster."

After the two adults exchanged greetings, the trio moved to the kitchen.

"So where are Tara and Kat?" The skater asked.

"In the back helping our new hand with something," Hannah told him. "Come on. I'll take you to them." And with that, the trio began to walk in the direction of the backyard.

Outside, Kat and the new farm hand, Nate stood watching as Tara began to climb the ladder up to the upper level of barn.

"Nate, Kat," Hannah called while walking to them with Ralf and Christian trailing behind her, "What on Earth is my daughter doing?"

"There's a kitten up there and I couldn't get it myself because I'm allergic to the plants Mr. Webster keeps up there. So Tara opted to get it for me." Nate explained when the trio stepped up beside them.

The older woman nodded her head, but frowned a little with worry. Normally, she wouldn't worry about her daughter doing something like this; she did grow up her after all; but the ladder she was using was broken and there and there was a very good chance she fall and with her recent back injury, her daughter really couldn't afford to fall. But since Tara was so close to the top, Hannah kept her mouth shut.

As Kat turned to him, Christian was just setting the small kangaroo down. Much to Joey displeasure.

"I can't hold you forever," the skater told the small animal. After giving the animal one last pat on his furry head, the skater turned to face the blonde.

"Hey Kat," Christian said, smiling a half smile at his friend.

"Hi," she said, "And you suck."

"What? Why?" He asked his half smile turning into a rare small grin.