Chapter 13

There were two hangers hooked on the door of Harry's closet; one held his Auror's robes, the other a sleek black suit. Harry looked from one to the other. He reached for the suit and pulled his hand back. He looked at the robes and tapped his socked feet on the floor. Harry needed to leave soon, and well, he knew what he was supposed to wear, the robes. The week in the Liar's Department was over, and he was back to being an auror, but...

Harry scrubbed his hand through his hair. He didn't even like the suit. Sure it was so drenched in charms that it fit perfectly and never rubbed or chafed or even made him sweat. And made him look like an actual adult. And a bit taller. And a bit cool. He might like the suit a bit.

He gave up and grabbed them both. He had to wear something under the robes, after all.

The Ministry was busy first thing in the morning as people flooded through the Atrium towards the lifts for the day's work. The air smelled like lattes in paper cups, footsteps rung on the tiles and mixed with conversation until they merged into a general crowd sort of noise.

Harry landed in the apparition zone, and his feet started moving before his brain caught up to what his eyes had seen, a head of white-blond hair heading towards the lifts. He dodged through the crowds, ducking under arms and around billowing robes.

"Draco!" Harry said, popping out of the crowd and catching Draco's elbow.

Draco looked over at him, his sunglasses obscuring his eyes, "Auror Potter."

"Don't Auror Potter me," Harry said.

Draco raised an eyebrow.

"You could just call me Harry, you know," Harry said pointedly.

"In front of all these people? Don't be lewd," Draco said.

Harry laughed, "At this point, I'll take Potter."

"But you are Auror Potter," Draco said, gesturing to Harry's robes.

Harry rolled his eyes, "After saturday-" he stopped, suddenly realising everyone was watching them. He had felt like it was just the two of them, mainly because there was a circle of empty space around Draco like he was infectious.

Harry shook his head at the crowd around them, "Don't you have work to do?"

A few people shuffled guiltily into the lift but more stayed behind to watch, judging, probably fairly, that this would be far more entertaining.

Harry grabbed Draco by the arm and pulled him back behind the reception desk into the narrow stone hallway that led to the supply rooms.

"Draco-"

"Muffliato, please," Draco said, nodding towards the handful of people that were 'nonchalantly' standing near the main desk, their heads conveniently cocked in Harry and Draco's direction.

Harry rolled his eyes and cast the spell, sweeping a curtain of noise distortion around them.

"Where'd you go sunday?" Harry asked.

"Home," Draco said, leaning nonchalantly against the dull grey stone wall.

"Without saying anything?" Harry said.

"Were you hoping for morning cuddles?" Draco asked with saccharine sweet sarcasticity.

"Maybe," Harry said, "Might have been nice, even if you are rather pointy."

Draco's ears took on a hint of a flush, "I wasn't exactly quiet when I left; you sleep like a hibernating bear."

"Only after drinking," Harry said defensively. "Why'd you go, then? You could have stuck around."