low rider

The two girls carefully painted the statues, making a mess of themselves along the way. Michelle had lit a joint she rolled earlier and the two passed it back and forth while they focused on the statues. They reminisced on the highlights of their junior year and talked about all of the things they wanted to see and do over summer. The boys tried to butt in a few times but they shooed them away to go dawdle somewhere else. Michelle told them that they had to help in some way if they wanted a hit, but there was nothing they could do anyways. Donna knew that letting them near the statues with wet paint would just ruin everything the two girls had done.

    Eventually, after a few tweaks and reviews from the guys, they decided that the statues were ready.

    "So, what are we supposed to be doing with these again?"

    "God, you ask too many questions Donna," Kevin complained.

    "That was one question! I'm just trying to be realistic!"

    "Don't worry about it," Pink smirked. "You did your part. We'll take care of the rest."

    "That sounds so sketchy."

    Pink rolled his eyes and walked towards his car. He had to meet some of the other guys at the baseball game so Donna was going to ride with Pickford and the others. "I'll see y'all in a few."

    Donna flipped him off as he passed her and she saw him chuckling as he drove off. He waved in his mirror and then was out of sight.

    "Let's go!" Kevin shouted.

-

Donna waved as Kevin and Michelle drove away from her house. She went in the front door and made her way towards the phone that was mounted in the kitchen. She dialed the number to Shavonne's house and waited. After a few rings, an easily recognizable, high-pitched voice came through the phone. "This is the Wright residence."

Donna's stomach twisted a bit. "Hey Simone. Is Shavonne there?"

"Oh, sure Don! I'll get her."

Donna laughed into the phone as she heard Simone scream for Shavonne on the other end. Soon enough, the other girl took the phone. "Hey Don, what's up?"

"You're still riding with Jodi, right?"

"Yeah, Simone and Darla are gonna drop me off at Top Notch."

"Okay, I think I'm gonna ride with Pickford to The Emporium, so can you tell them not to worry about getting me? I figured Simone was already out to pick up Kaye."

"Sure thing! Apparently Jodi's bringing a freshman too."

"Mitch?"

"No, a girl. I think that Sabrina chick from the hazing."

"Oh, okay cool. I've gotta go get ready, see ya!"

"Bye Don."

The girl hung up and ran up the stairs towards her bedroom. She heard a Ted Nugent song coming from her sister's room and stopped to go in.

"Hey! I could've been changing!" Julie complained.

"Whatever," Donna scoffed. "Do you need a ride tonight?"

"No I'm driving. I'm about to leave."

"Okay, are Mom and Dad still home?"

"No, they already left for their date. Glad we're not gonna be home tonight to hear what happens after."

"Oh my god shut up!" Donna screamed while covering her eyes and shaking her head. "That's disgusting. I'm going now."

She heard Julie cackling as she closed her door behind her and headed to her room. She turned on the radio and headed over to her closet to pick out something to wear for the night. It was only May, but Texas's summer heat was in full effect, so she didn't want to dress too warm and be miserable all night. She decided on some high waisted jean shorts and a crop top that tied up in the back.