𝟏.𝟎𝟒, home again

𝐇 𝐎 𝐌 𝐄   𝐀 𝐆 𝐀 𝐈 𝐍

        𝐈𝐓 certainly felt good to be back inside the warmth of the castle. In Melody's eyes, the Great Hall always felt more magnificent when it was full of people. The ceiling was dark, reflective of the storm outside, but hundreds of tiny candles sparkled throughout.

Almost stars, she mused thoughtfully. But not quite.

By the time she, Harry, Ron, and Hermione reached their seats, most of the Gryffindor table was full. People kept tossing Harry suspicious glances, likely relating to his collapse before the dementor. Clearly, word had spread like wildfire.

Melody watched the Sorting Ceremony with little interest, cheering for Gryffindors and not much else. She didn't have to ask Harry to know that he was still tired — the dementor attack seemed to have taken a large toll on his energy.

Finally, when everyone had been seated at their respective House tables, Dumbledore rose from his throne-like chair to speak.

"Welcome!" he exclaimed, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast. . . ."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

He paused, something like disdain flickering across his expression. Melody thought back to the Leaky Cauldron — Mr. Weasley had said Dumbledore wasn't happy with the dementors guarding the school. Now, after what had happened to Harry, it made sense.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore went on, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," He cast half a glance at Harry and Melody. "It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors," he said.

Percy, who was sitting a few seats down from Melody, puffed out his chest and stared around impressively. Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the hall, and nobody moved or made a sound.

"On a happier note," he finally continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."