𝐃𝐄𝐓𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐒

𝐃 𝐄 𝐓 𝐀 𝐈 𝐋 𝐒

        𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐘 put, Laws of the Stars is an ode to everything I value most in the universe. From cosmic guardians to magical mischief to loyalty and love, this story seems to cover it all — and I wouldn't have it any other way. The Wizarding World has been my safe space for several years, and I'm very excited to embark on this journey.

Melody Prewett came to me in summer 2020 while I was writing another story, and I couldn't get her out of my head— it seemed that every line kept circling back to her vivid, spunky spirit. After a few days of restless writer's block, I wisely scrapped what I had been working on and dreamt up Mel's storyline. I rifled through a handful of title ideas hastily before deciding to leave it unnamed, at least for the first few chapters.

Then, a couple of weeks later, it hit me, hard.

The stars.

The luminous heavenly bodies above, the planetoids in whom I had always found comfort — this story was for them. An analysis of human nature, with just a tad of glamorization and balladry: it was practically etched into the constellations.

It all fell into place: the five laws of the stars came out smoothly and shimmeringly, already speaking multitudes beyond their short sentences. Melody was the perfect gleaming canvas to shade with acrylics of confidence, oils of mistrust, and watercolors of pure devotion. Her universe is brimming with possibilities —I mean, it's Hogwarts— and I was beyond ready to take on her challenges and flaws.

When Harry came into the mix, however, I found myself swirling down a black hole of absolute fixation. I couldn't stop describing, elaborating, creating. Writing can be a very peaceful therapy if you let it — and this story certainly served as one for me. The Wizarding World, in all its glory, now seems to twinkle whenever I picture it: sprinklings and etchings of stars and Melody are left in every visualization, for better or worse.

In no way am I attempting to claim ownership of J.K. Rowling's brilliant plot, characters, or universe. That being said, I do own Melody, Cocoa, Petar, several other original characters, and their storylines. Any plagiarism of my original work will lead to unfavorable consequences! (Not to mention, copying someone else's work is really uncool. Let's not have any of that here, please!)

Now that we've got our framework out of the way, hush, it's time: the story is beginning.

Come closer, my dear astronomer, into the starlight — come, pluck galaxies from the black sheet ahead of you, and exhale the iridescent nebulae. Trust yourself, and yourself only: after all, nobody ever really stays . . . or do they?