5

You looked across the room and were glad to see that there were only a few people left. Harry had already started packing everything up that would most likely not be sold that night. You watched the three of them make some small chat with the people walking by, but all your real focus was on Tom and his deep stare right at you. It made your heart beat faster. With his arms across his chest, the muscles seemed even more prominent.

He was suddenly pulled back into the conversation, and it was as if he changed into a different person. All bubbly, none of that- what even was it that he looked at you? You decided to not think about it too much. One does not do well when dwelling about anything.

Finally, the last person bought their shirt, and they were done. Hoping it didn't make you look too desperate, you didn't waste a second to walk over to them. Harrison and Tom were helping Harry pack up the rest of the things that were left on the table.

"Hey," you said awkwardly. Tom almost dropped the stack of shirts he was holding. Again, the attention fell to his arms. You had to force yourself to look up at his face, which didn't help much either, but it made it easier to think thoughts that would not mean a one-way ticket to Hell.

"Hi! I'm so glad you stayed," he said after putting those shirts in the box. "I thought we could go grab something to eat. I don't know about you, but I'm starving." He spoke really fast, just showing how excited he was to talk to you again. To be honest, you weren't necessarily hungry, but going out to eat with Tom didn't sound too bad.

"Don't you have to pack up?" You pointed back to the stage that still counted all of their equipment.

"No, we're playing here tomorrow, again," Harrison explained.

"Oh, cool." Was all you said. It was cool, you just didn't know how to say anything without sounding dumb.

"Well, shall we? There's a diner on the way to my flat. It has the best burgers." Tom exclaimed. You ignored the little mention of his apartment and focused on the burgers. He wasn't suggesting for you to come over to his place. It was just a fact... right?

"Lead the way," you told him, but before you left, you turned to the other two members of Winter Solstice. "It was nice meeting you guys." Everyone waved, and so on, and you were off to eat.

It was almost midnight by the time you got there, but the diner Tom had mentioned did advertise as a 24/7. And it held up. When you walked in, you were practically hit in the face with the delicious smell of pie. You sat down in a booth next to the large window and very soon after a waitress walked up.

"What can I get ya?" she asked, flipping her little notebook open.

"I'll have a cheeseburger and fries, thanks," Tom asked. Then it was your turn.

"Just large fries for me, thank you." The waitress wrote it all down, then continued to ask if you wanted anything to drink.

"Ooh, do you have milkshakes?" The woman smiled and nodded. "So a chocolate milkshake then." You ordered.

"Make it two," Tom added. Then the waitress went off, Tom leaned on the table toward you, with his hands in front of him. "So, just fries, huh?"

"I'm not super hungry, and I wasn't going to steal your fries," you explained, making Tom laugh and shake his head.

"You're interesting, you know that?"

"I like to think so, yeah," you answered straightforwardly. It was a pity you had not gotten your drinks yet, or you would have taken a very nonchalant sip. You leaned your chin on your hand, just like you did at the bar before the show. Except for this time, there was a smile hiking up the corners of your mouth. Tom mirrored your position.

"So how did you guys come up with the name?" you had been wondering that ever since you saw that banner hanging on the stage. It was always interesting to find out the thinking process like.

"You gotta ask Harry, he came up with it one day, and we just went along. He's the more artistic one of the bunch." Of course he is. Well, that didn't answer anything then. But another question popped up in your mind.

"Are you guys related?"

Tom smiled at that question. "Yeah, Harry is my younger brother. Harrison has been my best mate ever since I can remember. We've always been close and messing around. Then one day we decided to grab some old instruments from the attic and- sorry, I'm probably boring you, aren't I?" He took off his cap again and ruffled his hair. You thought he would put it back on, but he left it on the table. There was pretty good lighting at Suki's, but the colourful spotlights were no match to the bright LEDs of the diner.

"I don't see how you thought that was boring," you assured him. You truly enjoyed his little story, talking about his friend and brother. You had doubted the choice of going out to eat so late at night with a stranger, but now the reason was apparent. He didn't want to be strangers-he wanted to get to know you. And you wanted to get to know him.

The waitress came back with two large milkshakes, topped with whipped cream and syrup. She said that the food would be ready in a few more minutes and left you to continue your conversation. You nudged Tom on to go on where he stopped previously.

"So yeah," he cleared his throat, "we played and thought, hey that doesn't sound shit, and we practised for a few months and decided some time ago, why not try and play."

"Was this your first gig?" you asked in disbelief. He shook his head, though.

"We've performed a few times, but this was the first one that felt... real, you know. Maybe it was just me, but I felt this great connection with the crowd, and it felt great." You nodded along with every word, without realising that you had been getting lost in his eyes. He had been looking into yours as he spoke about that connection, and it made you feel that maybe, just maybe, he meant you specifically.

"y/n?" He eventually asked, waking you up. You almost spilt your milkshake from the abrupt movement you made as you tried to sit up.

"What? Sorry." You held the glass until it didn't shake.

"I asked if you enjoyed it? The show?"

"Didn't you ask that already?" Stupid way to answer! "But yeah, I loved it. You were really great- I mean, all of you." but especially you, you wanted to add on, but that felt like going too far. As you were trying to come up with a normal-sounding answer there, Tom sipped from his milkshake. Something in his eyes told you that he could tell what you wanted to say, and that thought scared you a little bit. All you wanted to do was to give this hot guy a good impression of yourself, was that really that hard?

But he didn't say anything about it. Just continued the conversation as you hoped he would.

"Well, I'm glad. Honestly, you had scared me a bit back then, when you left," he admitted. And there were the heart palpitations again, beating faster and faster. You grabbed the cold milkshake because you could feel yourself getting hotter.

"How so?" you choked out.

"Just because I could tell you weren't exactly looking forward to the show, and then I saw you leave and didn't come back. I thought you didn't like us." Us. He said "us". Then we did it feel like he just wanted to say "me"?

"I wanted to check up on my friend, and then I realised that it was much colder in the back, so I stayed there." you explained again, "But why be worried about me, there were plenty of other people enjoying themselves."

He was about to answer when the waitress walked up with two large plates. She put them on the table with a smile, which you noticed was more directed towards Tom than you. He responded with a tight smile himself, but only shortly, turning back to you quickly to respond to your question.

"No one there was as cute as you."