1

"Will you please come?" your friend begged you over the phone. "It's gonna be really fun!"

"You know, you say that a lot, yet I never have as much fun as you promise." You sat down on your bed, looking out the window as the rain hit every surface outside. It was not exactly the weather you felt like going out in.

"Then that's on your extremely high expectations, not on me." She stated, "But pleeease." She kept on whining, and you knew she wouldn't stop until you gave in. It always went like this. Always.

"Ugh, fine." you fell back on the soft mattress, your head only missing the pillow by an inch. "Where is it actually?" There was the question you both dreaded. You, because you knew you wouldn't like the answer. Her, because she knew you wouldn't either.

"It's at Suki's," she mumbled, but you could still hear her just fine.

"That's where you work right- please don't tell me you're working tonight?!" you groaned into the phone.

"I am, but I'll be done around 9.30 I think, so there's still plenty of time for us to hang out! Besides, you already said yes, and NO TAKE BACKSIES!" she said this all extremely fast and screamed the last two words into your ear. Then, on top of that, hung up as soon as she finished, not giving you even a second to fight back. Not sure what happened, you stared at the black screen of your phone in confusion.

She said the concert started at nine o'clock. Did she really expect you to go to this thing and spend half an hour by yourself? Or did she want you to sit at the bar while she poured drinks for everyone? Either way, none of those options felt appealing. For a solid minute, you contemplated just not going, just... not showing up. Turning off your phone and watching a movie or something at home.

But at the same time, you hadn't left the house for a long time. And it was Friday night. Why not go out and see some obscure little band. What was their name again? Your friend had mentioned it, but you already forgot. Maybe it was for the better too. That way, you couldn't look them up beforehand, and if they were shit, you would just find out there and not have another thing to be dreading as you got ready. Or maybe they would be good. Then it would be a pleasant surprise on the spot.

You checked the time. 7:27 pm. That gave you about an hour to get ready and then some time to actually get to the bar. Should be doable.

So, you hopped in the shower to get all fresh again. Even if it would all get ruined later on in the night by standing in a sweaty crowd. It's the effort to look presentable that counts. Then, you picked out an outfit that would be comfortable in the before mentioned crowd. You could never go wrong with the simple jeans and a t-shirt combo.

Looking in the mirror, the thought of Not Going popped up in your mind again. There was nothing really obliging you to go. And the idea of standing there listening to the loud music, whether it was good or not, sounded slightly exhausting.

No, you reminded yourself, it would do you good to leave the house once in a while. Have "fun". You checked the time once more, 8:14. You had done everything a bit quicker than you expected. The Uber you had arranged for yourself would be there in a few minutes. So, you were stuck in that kind of waiting limbo, sitting on your couch, not sure what to do. Eventually, you put on your shoes and got your keys and were ready to head out.