Chapter VI

Some people chase money

Some people chase fame

Some people chase greatness

And that's what I'm trying to do 

---

The sun was taking longer to appear than ever before. Or at least that's how it had felt as Azriel continued to stare into the swirling darkness. Every one of his shadows had been vibrating, purring throughout the night and well into the early hours of the morning.

At what time was it acceptable to get up and leave? How would he even manage slipping without anyone questioning his reasonings? He'd been mulling that over all night too, whilst twiddling his thumbs.

It was darker than usual, he couldn't even make out the distinct corners of the armour in the corner of the room. Cauldron, he couldn't even see his bed posts. It was if someone had dredged his rooms in utter darkness, and it hadn't brightened with the morning either. So much so he couldn't even make out what time of day it was, if he could even call it that yet. Was it past dawn? Surely then he wouldn't seem too keen winnowing into Day. It would just be him reclaiming his blade before he could start his day. Right. Yes. That was it.

The darkness hid whoever it was that slammed his door open too. Maybe he was going crazy. Maybe he had his eyes closed still, or perhaps he'd simply gone blind.

"Um, Az?" Cassian's voice rang out somewhere in the distance.

The darkness stirred, as if being awoken from its deep slumber. "I can't see."

"Well obviously." He snorted, the end of Azriel's bed dipping down no doubt as he took a seat. "Tell me, have you pissed off your shadows that much or are you trying to hide yourself away for the entirety of the day?"

"What-" And suddenly the shadows were reeling back in, as if they too had only just come to realise how settled they'd become. Azriel shooed them away too, using his hands to wave them away, perhaps intentionally hitting Cassian in the meantime. Not that there would be any evidence of course. "What time is it?"

Azriel couldn't remember pulling the curtains closed, but his room was still bathed in shadow, not as heavily as before but still they danced around ever so pleased with themselves. For whatever reason- well, he wasn't quite sure he wanted to know.

"Just past noon."

"Noon?!" And the blinding light that was revealed as he tugged the blinds open backed up that too.

It being noon meant- everyone would be awake by now, which made sense considering it had been Cassian to come and collect him. That also meant he'd wasted half of his day when he could be...