Chapter III

Euphoria 

Euphoria 

It's the only word that adequately describes what I felt the first time I met you; 

That childlike wonder and excitement

---

They really should've listened to Azriel's warning and stayed away from Helion's wine. Apparently the other two were attuned to the strange beverage, the strength being seemingly otherworldly, but Cassian and Rhysand... well they could remember only brief moments of the previous night. And they were almost certain they wanted to keep it that way.

They'd decided to leave earlier than planned purely so Rhysand could brief Azriel. He'd given Feyre a short message just so the news wasn't so surprising and he had no doubt Azriel was already preparing for the worst. It was always helpful when predictability isn't high on the cards- like it often isn't in regards to Tamlin. And there was no doubt that Azriel would expect an emissary as intolerable as Lucien could be. Wyrd was he in for a surprise.

Cassian was still clutching his head, as if trying to stop himself from heaving or perhaps eve hold himself together, as they stumbled down the steps and back out into the open air. Had the sun been that bright yesterday? Or was Helion doing that on purpose? Most likely the latter.

Rhysand was still saying his usual goodbyes to Helion when Cassian found the strength and will power to stand fully inclined, Tahlia having just slipped back inside. He'd noticed Helion's gaze following her as she left before turning back round to face the pair, face set more firmly than before.

"Thank you. For making her see sense. She thinks she's more of a nuisance whenever I try to spare a guard for her. Says they're better off doing work that actually matters."

He was shaking his head in disbelief, but there was something else there too that Cassian didn't quite recognise. Something... maybe a little darker, a darker kind of understanding. And it wasn't the General's business he would be sticking his nose in. So rightfully, he kept his mouth shut.

"Looking after your own matters. Azriel understands this. He won't let anything happen to her." Rhys reassured, clasping a hand over the other Lord's shoulder before backing up and stretching his wings wide, reaching a hand out to Helion.

"None of us will." Cassian nodded in agreement, stretching his wings, almost falling back in a sudden dizzy haze.

"There was a time when I trusted Tamlin too. It's odd how things change." Helion lamented before switching his darkening eyes on Rhys, tightening this grip around his hand so tightly Cassian's hands twitched towards his blades. "If she's not back in one piece in Rhysand-"

"She will be."

"-I'll rip your throat out." A growl ripped from his throat as he finished his thought.