Chapter 3

I walk through the empty school hallway, trying to find Mike. We were supposed to meet in front of Classroom 18 since our detention was there, but he didn't show up. I hope he didn't ditch because this will be the third time he's left me alone in this.

I decide to take out my phone and call him, but he doesn't pick up. Groaning, I turn around on my heels and walk back towards the Classroom 18.

As I come closer, I don't bother to knock but just simply barge in and take my seat as far away as possible from Mrs. Andersen's table.

There's a lot of people in detention today, seems like Coleman's been productive.

I take my phone out again and try texting Michael, although I doubt he's going to text back. When I'm done sending the text, I open some boring game just to keep me somewhat entertained until I hear Mrs. Andersen cough to gain our attention.

I look up as she stands up from her table and in front of the class.

"Mr. Hood and Mr. Clifford, your detention has been switched into the choir class by Mr. Coleman." She grumbles with her deep voice and I flinch.

"Michael's not here." I say nonchalantly and stay sitting in my spot. "Why choir?!" I then ask as I notice all eyes in the room are currently on me.

"Don't ask questions, Hood." She snaps and that's my cue to leave. I stand up and take my backpack, walking out of the classroom.

As I come to the other part of the school where the choir has their rehearsals, I stop in front of the wooden door with a glass window and peek inside. The choir is singing something and there's a teacher waving her arms like she's going crazy.

I never understood conducting in front of a bunch of singing people. Who needs a person that waves their arms in front of you with a stick in their hand when you have music that can guide your singing?!

Again, I don't bother knocking and just walk inside, the whole choir going quiet as the teacher looks at me.

"Mrs. Andersen sent me here for detention?" I question my own sentence as I take a seat further from the choir.

"Oh, yes." The music teacher, I think Mrs. Hemmings, says. "Every detention you get is going to be transferred into choir class from now on." She lets me know and I frown.

"Why?" I ask.

"It seems like Mr. Coleman finds you musically talented." She shrugs.

"Or he just hates me." I mumble to myself and prop my chin on my palm.

"Mr. Hood, please join us." Mrs. Hemmings looks at me and then at the students standing in front of her as I roll my eyes and lazily stand up. I drag my feet to the other people standing there and look at the teacher with annoyance seemingly visible on my face.

"Do you play any instruments, Mr. Hood?" The teacher asks.

"No." I lie, not wanting to share everything about me with everyone. This isn't even a real detention. This is horse shit.

"Okay, we'll have to hear you sing, then."

I switch in my spot and gaze at her, then at some people that were standing next to me in silence, waiting for me to do something.

"I'm not going to sing." I protest.

The rest of the detention goes somewhat okay as I don't want to do anything they tell me to do. I just try not to run away from all the opera music they're yodeling.

Once the detention finally finishes I walk in the back of the classroom to take my backpack and start walking outside when I hear someone shouting something at me. I turn around and see the brown haired girl from earlier today running towards me so I stop walking.