Gray rain

One. Two.

One. Two.

One. Two.

One. Two.

Natsu was doing push-ups to get his body into fighting shape. Ever since his encounter with that fat guy from Dead Cell, he wasn't allowed to take a mission until he had fully recovered. This was enforced by his girlfriend of two years, Lucy Heartfilia. She had not let him take a mission in over two weeks while his body recovered.

Natsu wasn't happy. Like anyone who has ever failed at something, he kept thinking about all the ways he could have done the mission better. He could have stayed with Lucy throughout the fight. He could have made sure that he didn't let himself get caught in the explosion mage's bombs. It was shameful.

The worst part about it, in Natsu's head, was the fact that it was Lucy who saved him. Not that he wasn't grateful about it. But he was the one who saved Lucy and not the other way around. The fact that the Dragon Slayer had to be saved because he got knocked out so quickly left a bad taste his mouth. Not only that, but Lucy got injured while protecting him. She sprained her arm. It wasn't as serious as it probably could have been but he kept thinking... what if it were worse.

That's why he was trying to get his body back to tiptop shape. Natsu would never fail Lucy again.

One. Two.

One. Two.

One. Two.

One. Two.

Happy watched on as Natsu pushed himself. The Dragon Slayer wasn't used to being the one who needs protecting. He was always the protector. So being saved by Lucy was somewhat emasculating to him. The blue Exceed figured that Natsu was working harder so that he never had to be in that position again. Happy couldn't see what the big deal was. If the situation were reversed and Lucy were the one being saved, Natsu would be all like "You're plenty strong. Don't let yourself get down." His friend should really take his own advice.

Once Natsu's body was back to perfect form, he told Lucy, Happy, Erza and Gray that he wanted to take another mission, a real tough one. They agreed with him. It would be a great team exercise. With Erza's S-class mage status, they were able to pick up a 10 year mission, a real tough one. For 200 million jewels, Team Natsu was tasked to investigate the Gray Rain that has been falling on towns, turning people to stone. Because the mission had to do with rain (and because Gray requested it), Juvia joined the team temporarily, along with Wendy for support and healing.

Before they set out, Lucy visited the Magnolia Magic Shop to pick up some new keys. Of course, they wouldn't be Golden Elliptical keys (of which she had ten) but they were still useful.

The journey to find the cause of the Gray Rain took them over the known world, listening to the stories of Gray Rain survivors. One of the stories was that once the Gray Rain fell, monsters would come and smash the stone statues, killing the humans. While following the path, they fought waves of monsters who tried to impede their path. Of course, they were no match for Team Natsu.

Natsu made sure to take the lead on every attack. He had to make up for screwing up the last time. Lucy noticed that and pulled him aside.

"Natsu?" Lucy asked. "Are you still upset about that last mission?"

Normally, Natsu would lie or play off how he felt. But Lucy was very perceptive. She would catch it very quickly when he wasn't telling being truthful. So Natsu decided to be honest.

"I just don't want to put you in that position again." Natsu sighed.

Lucy gently put her hand across Natsu's face. "Natsu, I told you." She whispered. "You'll always be my hero. I can protect you and you can protect me. Let's protect each other, alright?"