Gift

Lucy blinked.

“Come again?”

The man before her groaned, carding his fingers through his rosy hair – dark eyes flashing jade in the fading light of dusk. He shoved his fists into his pockets, tucking his chin into the fluffy white of his scarf as he rocked back on his heels.

“It’s not a big deal, Lucy. I just saw it the other day and thought ya might like it.” Natsu muttered, words somewhat subdued as his foot tapped restlessly against the floorboards of her room.

The blonde looked down at her hands. The present was unwrapped, the plain paper bag it had been in was rumpled. Her lips quirked up, tracing her fingertips over the engraved leather cover of a volume of fairy tales.

When she remained silent, he cleared his throat before turning resolutely to stare at a spot in the distance instead of her.

“If ya don’t like it, that’s fine. You can give it to Levy instead or whatever, I don’t c—”

“—I love it.” She interjected, amber eyes crinkling at the corners when he stopped rambling, peeking down at her from beneath his long lashes.

“Yeah?”

She nodded, snickering slightly as she padded closer to him with the book pressed to her sternum. She pushed up on her toes, bracing one hand on his shoulder to maintain her balance as she brushed her lips against his jawline.

She lingered for a moment, squeezing his bicep before withdrawing – enjoying the deep blush blooming in his cheeks.

“Yeah.” She breathed.