41. glossy

THE TALENT SHOW WAS well underway. A group of girls danced to Oh My Girl's Nonstop, at which the class jubilantly danced and sang along. Seojun's gang—excluding the man himself—dressed up in brightly-coloured tracksuits and presented the crowd with an assortment of circus-worthy tricks.

"What do you think?" Sua leaned her head upon Yeonwoo's shoulder. She was in a great mood ever since she and Taehoon had made up during the treasure hunt.

"Interesting," Yeonwoo responded, as a group of girls dressed as old grandmas appeared on stage.

Although she had been feeling melancholy earlier on, currently she felt on top of the world. She was squished in between Jugyeong and Sua, Sujin on the other side of Taehoon. They were so close, she felt that they were one person. Never, had she felt so whole in a long time.

As if sensing her weepy mood, Sujin grabbed for Sua's hand, at which Sua reached for Yeonwoo's. 

Yeonwoo felt for Jugyeong's hand and her fingers closed upon something fluffy—and familiar. She looked down, and there it was: a flower bracelet. The one she had picked up for Seojun when it fell out of his pocket. Locked around Jugyeong's pale, lily-like wrist.

"Where did you get that?" Yeonwoo whispered.

Jugyeong looked down, only just noticing it was there. "I woke up with this in the bus. I have no idea where it came from, but it's pretty, isn't it?"

Yes, it was pretty, Yeonwoo thought. She had spent the day wondering about the bracelet, imagining the moment when Seojun would walk up to her and give it to her. But no, all this time it was for Jugyeong.

She had never felt stupider.

So stupid, she barely noticed the crows and yells of the crowd, the repeating moniker, Han Seojun! Han Seojun! She did not feel his gaze upon her, his eyes questioning, Should I go up there and sing?

"Should I?" Seojun asked Yeonwoo.

"You should, we'd love to hear you sing," Jugyeong said slowly, glancing at Yeonwoo, who had not answered the question but was staring off into space.

But Seojun nodded. With one last look upon Yeonwoo, still lost in her thoughts, he stood up and started for the stage.

His husky, melodious voice woke her up, a reminder that once there was someone who looked like her and talked like her and loved like her.

"You and me under a starlit night."

Once again, the girls reached for each other's hand, transfixed by his hypnotising voice. Even Sujin, who would rather insult than praise the Han boy, admitted he had the voice of an angel.

Yeonwoo closed her eyes, allowing the song to wash over her. She was unable to see that more than once, Seojun's gaze drifted towards her.

Simultaneously, Suho's gaze also fell upon Jugyeong in a way that was so much more different than the look of Seojun's eyes.

Seojun finished his first song amidst rapturous applause. He was under no obligation to sing another song, but he decided to.