S E V E N

Speeding away from the pharmacy, you dropped the pregnancy test in the nearest trash can focusing on putting as much distance as you could in between you and your newfound 'situation'. 

You kept walking, ignoring the sound of Peter's footsteps behind you, and stopping when you reached a tiny bridge over 97th Street. You put your hands on the rail of the bridge, ducking your head into your chest. 

"I'm sorry (Y/N), I was just trying to lighten the mood. I didn't mean to be insensitive." 

You heard the brown-haired boys words and picked your head up turning to face him. An extremely concerned face stared back at you, his hazel eyes scanning yours for any signs of forgiveness. Knowing that you were more upset with yourself for getting into this situation than with the boy standing in front of you, you cleared your throat, trying to find the words.

"It's not you Peter, I just don't know what I'm going to do."

There was a momentary glimpse of relief on Peter's face but it quickly returned to one of concern, taking a step closer to you. Stumbling backwards slightly, you bumped into the edge of the bridge, leaning onto it like a crutch.  

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked, stopping in his tracks when he saw that you wanted him to keep his distance for the moment.

You were doing everything you could to relax but it felt like you were being suffocated by the world around you. In a matter of minutes, your entire life had changed and you had no one to turn to. No best friend. No boyfriend. God what was mom going say... You focused on the sounds around you, trying to prevent yourself from a full on panic attack. You heard the wailing of a nearby siren, the honking of a car alarm, and the chatter of the happy couples seemingly mocking you at the outdoor bar across the street.

"Am I going to be okay?" you chuckled at the question, your laugh coming out in a high pitch squeak before you continued with your nervous rant.

"Hmm well let's see...  I'm pregnant so the gods are clearly punishing me for having casual sex, I mean this has to be some kind of sick joke right? I haven't even graduated yet," you rambled almost to yourself as you paced back and forth.

"And if that wasn't enough my ex-boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend so I'm all alone and am somehow supposed to raise a kid all by myself?" 

You felt as if you could have kept ranting for hours, and you probably would have if Peter hadn't cut you off.

"I could be your friend."

You stopped pacing to look at Peter who was staring at you sympathetically. What was he playing at? Friends? Why would he want to be friends with you? He was a fucking super hero, it's not like he would be short on friends. The wheels in your brain were turning rapidly, trying to make sense of it all, until suddenly it hit you.

Peter wanted to keep his identity a secret. He wanted to make sure the world never found out who was behind spider-man's mask, but you had accidentally discovered his secret. You were a liability. Peter's best chance at making sure you didn't tell anyone, other than kidnapping you or some other kind of shady superhero bullshit was becoming your 'friend'. You wouldn't even have been surprised if it had been him following you around all those times you had convinced yourself you were imagining that red and blue suit in shadow. You didn't want his pity. You didn't need another fake friendship. 

"I'm not going to tell anyone that you're Spider-Man. You don't have to pretend to be nice to me just so I won't spill your secret."

Peter was taken aback by (Y/N)'s response and the fierceness in her tone. Over the past three weeks he had learned a lot about her. She was almost always on her own, very rarely communicating with anyone else other than short interactions with fellow classmates. While she appeared to be fine on the outside, he could tell she was not happy on the inside. Given what she had just said about her ex-boyfriend and best friend, it was no wonder she was skeptical about his offer of friendship.