17

After hearing his wife waking to throw up for five consecutive nights, the king realized there was something going on. He contacted the royal physician as soon as he could and asked him to come to examine the queen.

It was hard for him to imagine that she could actually be pregnant. He had reasons to believe that he could not have children but maybe Rocky was the remedy to that curse. Maybe she was the one who would give him an heir, as he always wished. Maybe his kingdom wasn't set for doom after his death, after all.

He didn't tell her anything. Rocky had the surprise to wake up one morning and find the royal physician at the door of her bedroom. The king noticed her anxiety.

"Why is he here?" She asked, a deep frown taking over her facial traits.

"To examine you, my queen." The king replied. "You've been throwing up. We need to check if you're sick of if..."

He smiled at her.

"Maybe you're expecting a child." The physician added, taking the queen back to her bed and asking her to lay down.

She obeyed even though her heart was beating like a mad drum. She didn't want to know if she was pregnant. That would only make her worry more about the father of her child.

The king didn't stay with them in the room. He waited anxiously in the corridor, biting his nails. What he feared was a disappointment. He prayed and hoped that the physician would not break his hopes of finally becoming a father. After a while, the old man finally got out and king Hassan rushed to him, his eyes wide open.

"...Is she okay?" He asked cautiously.

The old physician nodded.

"She is. Her child too."

It took a few seconds for king Hassan to comprehend those words. The physician chuckled in front of his dumbfounded expression.

"Congratulations, your majesty. You are going to be a father."

The king laughed, overjoyed. He hugged the physician, kissed his cheek, and rushed into the bedroom to find his wife. Rocky barely had the time to blink before she was scooped in his arms and being twirled around.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." He said, kissing every single spot on her face. "This is truly the best day of my life, Rocky. You are a blessed woman. I thought I would never get to see my child but you are bringing hope into my heart. No one has ever made me this happy."

Rocky laughed drily. Right, she'd never seen the king this happy. It meant that his disappointment would be even harsher once he would find out...

"Why are you so calm?" He asked, playing with her hair.

"I guess I'm still shocked. Never expected to be a mother so soon, even though I was raised with that purpose in mind but..."

"Don't worry. There is nothing to fear, I will be by your side with every step in this journey, okay?"