Chapter 3

Becca's POV

After waiting almost three hours, Dr. Matthews came into the room.

He looked like he was in his late fourties. He had a cross necklace around his neck. Great not another Christian, I thought to myself. 

His hair was greying a bit and he had a dark blonde goatee and a little stubble on his face.

He carried a manila folder in his hand and he proceeded to sit on the rolling stool.  

He put his hands in his lap and sighed." Ms. Lawson, this is the tenth time we have seen you this month. Is there something you're not telling us? Are you being abused?" I took a deep breath. Tears threatened to break but I swallowed them and looked at Rachel, she gave me a worried look. I shook my head and replied to the Dr."No, I'm just really clumsy. I'm not being abused, Dr. Matthews. My parents love me." I lied smoothly. I've gotten to where lying became easy because I had such a secret to cover up. I had this wall built up that no one could tear down.

" Becca are you sure? I'm here to help. We are here to help." He said with concern.

Again I shook my head. "No, I'm fine. Just tell me what I've broken this time."

He sighed." Well you have two broken ribs and four bruised ones. Your shin is deeply bruised. I am putting you on some painkillers for the breaks in your ribs and I'm putting a brace on your shin to help it heal because the hit to it caused some bruising on the muscles as well."

I took in the news and laid back on the bed. I wish I was dead so I didn't have to go to school tomorrow. When they see my new injuries they will pick on me for sure. I'm a senior and I'll be eighteen in two weeks. I'll be able to leave my parents and get as far away as possible. I'm planing on moving to Idaho, where I'm originally from. We moved to Chattanooga Tennessee about three years ago. I hate it here. I have no friends at all.

"Your son was looking for you a few hours back. He came in here looking for you." Rachel said to him

Dr. Matthews chucked and smiled as he ran a hand through his hair. "That's my boy Jamie for you. He's always determined to find out something I won't tell him. My wife was being tested for breast cancer today and when it comes to his momma, Jamie will do anything to find out what's going on. The thing is I don't have the heart to tell him, I'm scared to let him know his mom is dying. This is her second bout with breast cancer and its stage four. We've prayed a bunch but God's will is the best." Dr. Matthews said as he wiped a tear away. 

I felt sad inside for him. This broke my heart. I wish I could help but I had my own problems.

************* 

Jamie's POV

I couldn't believe what I just heard. I knew eavesdropping was wrong but I couldn't help it. My mom was dying.

I saw him walking toward the room while waiting for him to come to the ER. I couldn't help but listen, maybe I could find out the mystery girl's name. I quietly walked behind him tiptoeing around the corners of the ER.  

He reached room eight and I stayed behind the corner. As he entered he left the door cracked a bit. So I listened to everything. Her name was Becca. Wow what an amazing name. I wondered what she was hiding. I heard him tell them about my mother and I lost it. Why would he not tell me.  

He started walking out of the room and I tried to speed away before he saw me, but I was to late. 

I turned around as he called out to me. "Jamie! Son!" Tears poured down my face as I ran into his arms.

"How much did you hear, son?" He asked, his eyes turning glossy. 

"Everything, dad. How much longer does she have? How bad is it? Can they treat it?"  

I pleaded with my father, begging for information.

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Son, it's treatable but she has about twelve weeks. But they don't know if the chemo will work. All we can do is pray." He said.

I had to know about this girl Becca. I knew my dad had this patient confidential thing but I didn't care, I had to know.

"Dad, you know the girl in room eight? I think her name is Becca, is there any way I could meet her? I feel drawn to her. I saw her when she first walked into the ER and I could see her pain. I prayed to God asking him that if it was His will, I would run into her again and I did. I want to get to know her." He looked at me with a knowing smile and chuckled.

"Son, you are determined aren't you? Yes you can meet her but I'm not introducing you to her. You have to do that on your own. Let God work it out." He said.

I gave him a hug and he said" I have to get her prescription but you may go talk to her while I do." He smiled

I eagerly shook my head and darted toward her room.

I entered the room and I was instantly shushed. Becca was sound asleep on the bed. I looked at the girl I only knew as Becca's cousin.

"May I help you?" She asked me growing curious as she studied me.

"I just wanted to check on her. Is she okay.........?" I asked sort of hinting for her name.

"I'm Rachel by the way. And yes I think and hope so. The nurse just brought her some pain medication for the breaks in her ribs. Why are you so interested in my cousin?" She pondered.

I asked myself that same question. Why was I so interested.

"I'm not sure, Rachel. I saw y'all come in the ER together and I felt instantly drawn to her. I could see brokenness in her and I felt her hurt. I had to meet her. So I prayed and asked God if it was his will I would see her again. And I did. So I took that as a chance." I said almost out of breath.

Rachel looked at me with tears forming. "I have prayed for a long time for someone to help her and comfort her and lead her to God. She's so lost and hurt. I won't tell you what she goes through that's her story. But just don't rush a relationship with her. She never let's people get to close. She's afraid of people leaving her and hurting her. She pushes everyone away who gets too close." Rachel replied.

I sighed understanding what she was saying.

"I understand Rachel, I'll be there for her. I'll be here when she wants to open up and if she does, I'll support her and everything . I don't know why but I love her and I don't even know her. Is that crazy?" I asked Rachel.

She nodded and replied" God works in crazy ways. He knows what he's doing, we just have to trust Him."

"I agree with what you're saying. This could be all God." I said silently hoping it was God.