Chapter 8

The next morning was dreadfully slow for the Winchesters. Only Sam was up before 10:30, the other two woke up at noon. Faith and Dean sat at the library table, coffee cups in their hands, while Sam dug around in the library.

"What are you even looking for," Dean asked his brother.

"Anything on the Mark of Cain," Sam answered. Faith slammed her coffee cup down on the table, scaring her brothers.

"You're not going to find anything in a book about the Mark," she snapped.

"You never know Faith," Dean said quietly.

"Come on, you know there's not going to be anything in some book about a Mark that eons of years old," Faith shouted.

"What do you suggest we do then," Sam asked her.

Faith looked at Dean, "I want you to give it back to me." Dean got up from the table, shaking his head.

"Hell no," he said, "there's no way I'm giving this back to you."

"Why not," Faith yelled, rising from her own chair.

"Because you don't need to deal with this," Dean snapped, "I chose to take on this burden. You didn't! I'm not going to give it back to you when I know it will cause you pain."

"I have lived with that mark my entire life," Faith yelled, "I know how to cope with it. I'm the reincarnated daughter of Cain. This is my burden and my burden only."

"No way," Dean said again.

"Dean," Sam said quietly, "maybe you should give it back to her."

"Yes, Dean you should listen to your siblings," someone said behind them.

The three of them turned to find Gabriel and Cass. There was blood on Cass's trench-coat, but Gabriel looked unharmed. Suddenly, Gabriel's body went flying backwards until it connected with the wall. He was held in place as Faith walked up to him.

"Faith," Dean warned.

"Cass, are you ok," Faith asked, ignoring Dean. Cass nodded his head. Faith continued walking towards Gabriel until she stood directly in front of him.

"Welcome back from Hell," Gabriel said a smile on his face. Faith punched Gabriel in his jaw, his attitude sending her over the edge. Sam and Dean both started walking towards her, but Cass held them off.

"Don't," he said. Gabriel brought his face back up to meet Faith's eyes, his lip cut and bleeding.

"It's nice to see you too," Gabriel said.

"I charged you with one task," Faith yelled, her voice clear of emotion, "keep my family safe."

"I did that," Gabriel hissed.

"No, you didn't," Faith yelled again, "everyone is dead! They are dead because of you!"

"I didn't know," Gabriel said.

"The hell you didn't," Faith hissed, "I asked one thing of you Gabriel and you screwed it up! I trusted you to keep them safe!"

Gabriel looked up at Faith, "I'm sorry."

Faith shook her head, "it's too late for that." Faith walked away from him, leaving his body pinned to the wall.

As Faith walked towards the hall where her bedroom was, she grabbed Cass's hand and hauled him down the hall with her. Her brothers heard a door slam and then Gabriel was released from her hold. Sam and Dean looked as Gabriel straightened himself up.

"So much for winning Faith over," Sam said under his breath.

"What did you say," Gabriel asked.