Prologue

C.W: Homophobia 

Texas didn't like his soulmate mark. When the circular shape first appeared on his wrist, he never thought of it much. But by the time he was part of America he hated it.

A few months after Mexico adopted him from Spain, he fell in love for the first time. Hidalgo was rugged on the outside but really sweet once Texas got to know the Mexican state. He couldn't explain his feelings for the other boy at first. All he knew was that it felt deeper than it should.

It was Hidalgo that initiated the first (and last) kiss. The two were out in the field trying to gather blueberries for dinner when they stated talking about love. "I think I love someone I'm not supposed to." Hidalgo said before bringing his lips to Texas's. Mexico saw the whole thing.

Mexico read the two stories from the bible that night. The extra chores for the next month would have been enough of a lesson but he was also forbidden from seeing Hidalgo without direct adult supervision. The other state snuck into Texas's room that night, but he decided it was too risky and kicked Hidalgo out.

The problem was that he wanted to kiss the other boy again. The forbidden urges towards other men never left. Even a hundred years later he still found himself struggling.

That's why he was always worried about his soulmate mark. It was supposed to be god's hint towards the person you will love the most in the world and Texas was never really sure that person would be a woman.

So, he hid his mark. Every once in a while, someone might ask about it, but he usually could brush it off. Sometimes just pulling a full New York and swearing at people if they got too nosy.

The only person who knew what his mark looked like was surprisingly Florida. Texas had rolled up his sleeves to wash dishes, thinking no one was home when Florida walked in and casually complemented the mark on his wrist.

Texas made him promise to never tell him who his soulmate was if he found out. Even if the world was on fire, he simply didn't want to know, it was too risky.

A few weeks later Florida told him he found out who his soulmate was. Texas hesitated. It would be nice to find out who the person was but the disappointed look on Mexico's face came back to him, keeping him from finding out.

A/N: I only have a few chapters writen ahead of time so it might take a while for these to come out if I even make it to finishing the book. Also i am awful at editing so don't be suprised if this is filled with dumb mistakes. 

Also want to mention that there is a lot of internalised homophobia that Texas is working through in this book so if that bother you don't read.