25: Redemption

It took hours until we reached the tree-line of the forest the others were supposedly waiting in. Dante circled above us, lengthening his journey in order to protect us, for he would have been there several hours earlier otherwise.

It made me feel gratitude, especially since he'd saved all our lives. Slowly but surely I was seeing the reason behind the golden color in his signature. Though Dante had a hard shell, one that was covered in red anger, his core was soft and gentle. The colors of his emotional signature finally seemed to make sense.

Then again, maybe it was Kendra's influence. I doubted all of it was. Probably a large part, though.

Either way, the journey through no-mans-land was strenuous, to say the least. My entire intestines still felt like they were sore, barely recuperating from the agony they'd been in. My body was sore, and running so soon after having been through an attack on my guts did nothing to make matters improve.

Reece, Emmet and Kendra kept asking me if I was okay, which meant we couldn't uphold a Rukhs' and just ran without generating magic. Running like that felt strangely naked, as though something were missing. But I was appreciative of them caring so much about me.

We had to stop multiple times to take a short break, since my muscles were agonizingly screaming with pain and my stomach wasn't quite as it used to be. Bile kept rising, but I never fully needed to vomit. Still, it was awful doing physically demanding things when my stomach wasn't having it.

Once we finally reached the tree line, the pain and nausea didn't seem as bad anymore. But there was still a way to go until we would reach our destination—the dragons had sought refuge within the forest, away from sight.

I saw Tyrion first. He was the bulky, slightly smaller brown dragon amongst the three. After him, I spotted the largest of the three, Ryker, who's scales were a shining gray that almost seemed to glow white. His eyes were equally bright and intense. He was the polar opposite of the sleek black dragon that I noticed last but felt first. Reagan blended with his surroundings, the setting sun aiding him. His glowing, golden eyes were what would give him away, if anything.

"Leiirin, are you alright?" Reagan asked right away, concern lacing his voice.

I nodded simply. When his huge body arose from his previous laying position and he came towards me, I nearly backed up out of pure instinct. He craned his neck and inspected me with one eye. "I was worried about you. Are you sure you are okay?"

Nodding again, I appreciated that he cared though I wondered why he'd not contacted me at all.

I tilted my head in confusion when Reagan glanced over to Ryker, who seemed to understand whatever it was he told him with nothing but a look. Ryker's gray slits turned to me and I felt something vibrate in the air between us. It was a brief change in the atmosphere and was gone quickly. "She's bleeding internally."