14: Responsibility

There wasn't an emotion or feeling in the world that could have accurately described what surged through me when we flew through the sky

There wasn't an emotion or feeling in the world that could have accurately described what surged through me when we flew through the sky. The wind was rough, clawing at our skin like a hungry animal. Then the cold set in. But despite the uncomfortable seating, the unfortunate temperature drop or even the gnawing wind—flying was an immeasurable attainment. No one alive had ever been airborne, actually flying in the sky like birds, without having any wings. We could see everything from above. The crowns of all the trees, the boulders that turned into hills that turned into mountains. We could see the snow in most of the summits, rivers climbing down the mountain's steep walls. To take it all in at once seemed impossible. Yet, here we were, seeing all of nature's beauty in one long look.

Unfortunately, staring down too long made me dizzy and I quickly veered back to grab Reece's shirt.

It is beautiful, isn't it? A voice rang in my head, deep and calm. Strangely enough, I welcomed Reagan's presence, relishing the warmth it brought.

It felt like his mind touching mine made all of the dark places in it grow brighter. It made me feel free. There was only one tiny spark of doubt, somewhere in the back, that threatened to destroy it all. But I buried it as deep as I could. Now was not the time for doubts. I wanted to enjoy this. To revel in it.

I don't think I could ever get used to seeing something like this, even if I stared at it every day.

Reagan's chuckle vibrated in my mind, causing my stomach to warm up. My skin tingled and I felt the sudden urge to touch him. To wrap my arms around his body. I wanted to be close to him. All of these warm feelings started to overwhelm me.

He retreated from my mind and instantly, it all felt dark again. As if I were suddenly completely alone.

He must have felt the change in my mood the second he left, for only moments later, his warmth returned.

Are you alright?

Yes, I'm fine. I'm just not used to someone being in my head, coming and going as he pleases, I answered, my heart heavy.

It took him a few moments until he answered. Should I stop?

The fact he cared made my heart beat faster. Should he? Thinking about his mind not ever touching mine again was far from appealing. I couldn't imagine being left alone with that cold feeling. The darkness...

If you don't force yourself in, then no, I answered solely, not finding more words to express what was running through my mind. I didn't want him to leave at all, in any way. I wanted him to be mine, to hold me like Dante held Kendra. To share the same connection. The same...

"Rykerien!" Dante screamed, a feral roar following that seemed to crack through the atmosphere. The sky suddenly turned black, dark clouds forming above and below us. What in the god's names was happening?

"Ryker, steady yourself!" Tyrion yelled, fear and panic arising.

Frantically I tried squinting my eyes but I couldn't see where anyone was. Lightning raced through the sky in front of us, creating such a loud bang it seemed like the sky was ripping apart. Rain followed quickly, soaking my hair and clothes. I was blinded by the flash of lights, deaf from the raging thunder and numb from the icy water crashing down on us.

"What the hell is happening?" I whispered, grabbing on to Reece with both hands, albeit I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.

"Something must have happened to Ryker", Reece said, screaming so we could hear him over the loud, slamming sounds of thunder.

How had this storm even hit us, out of nowhere? Normally I'd been able to smell the rain hours before it would start. Maybe the wind had carried the scent away too quickly?

That theory didn't really add up. Even if I'd have smelled it coming, it wouldn't have started within a single second, in the exact moment Dante roared his brother's name.

Could it have been him? Did they control the weather? Or even the elements?

Before I could think my theories through, Reagan's body suddenly dropped.

Reece, Emmet and I held on to each other for dear life, lifting from off Reagan's back. But the dragon quickly beat his wings again and shot up, higher into the sky. He craned his neck, looking into the direction behind us. I refrained from rubbing my arse from the impact on Reagan's boney, stone-hard spine.

He could have at least warned us.

This time, I was the one attempting to sneak myself into Reagan's mind. Despite the wind tearing at our flesh, the lighting ripping through the sky or even the thunder, I closed my eyes and tried to reach him. I found his signature quickly because he drew me in, a deep, violet color hovering around his body. It was so dark I'd nearly mistaken it with black. But I quickly steered my attention to his mind, where the violet was most intense. Slowly, I eased myself closer and closer. I felt his emotions tear through me in one hard blast. The clearest of all was not fear or panic. It was responsibility. His mind was clear—it wasn't a mess of chaotic feelings as I would have expected in this situation. It was clear and focused.

But his focus wavered when he realized I was trying to enter.

My heart stopped.

I knew you couldn't stay away forever, Reagan said, his voice so unbelievably smooth.

Now is not the time, Reagan. Please, tell us what's going on. Can you see anything?

Reagan's mind opened and let me in. It felt just as warm as his presence did when it was within my own. I saw a picture then from a perspective that was not my own. The blood in my veins froze and I quickly withdrew myself.

Back in my own state of mind, I tore my eyes open, feeling nauseous at the abruptness of changing between spheres.

When I turned around and looked over Emmet's shoulder, I saw the same picture.

I saw a dark gray dragon fly sidewards. His head just hung between his shoulders, limply, his eyes closed. His wings were losing their balance. Ryker was unconscious.

Sitting on top were Holden, Shyla and Tyler. 

The SentinelsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara