13

𝔂𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 // 𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓻 + 𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓼

He thought he was more organized than this. Akaashi rummaged through his closet, tossing whatever he had piled up, onto his bedroom floor.

It was an old shoebox, duct tape wrapped around the sides so it wouldn't accidently open. He knew it was here somewhere. It had just been so long since he last added anything to it.

He stared into his empty closet, and then behind him at the mess he created. At that moment, his mom passed the doorway, coming to an abrupt halt.

"What are you doing?" She was more focused on his closet now being in the middle of his room.

"You don't happen to know where that box was? The one with all the letters I wrote Y/n?"

The mention of your name took her mind off of the clutter scattered everywhere. She always loved whenever Akaashi would receive a letter from you, and how happy it made him.

"Oh! How is she? Have you talked to her?" He voice became excited.

"Mom." Akaashi wasn't sure what the rush was, but he wasn't sure how to answer her questions considering where things stood.

"Hm," She thought about it for a minute before perking up, "Oh!"

She made her way towards her bedroom, reaching up onto one of the shelves in her closet before pulling down the box. 

"I never wanted to throw it away, no matter what you said," She handed it to Akaashi was a smile, before he nodded and headed back to his bedroom.

He remembered after a couple of months not hearing from you, he brought the box to his mom asking for her to dispose of it for him. He knew he wouldn't be able to do it himself, and your mom took it from him without fighting with him about it. He was somewhat relieved at how sentimental she was.

Akaashi peeled away the frayed tape easily, and lifted the lid off of the box. Piles of pastel-colored letters laid within, and Akaashi could feel himself involuntarily smile.

He sorted through them, reading the messages about your days in middle school, with doodles you drew on the sides of each letter. But soon, Akaashi got to the end of the letters, where they started to come few and far between. He always assumed it was because he had asked to meet her, but he realized it was happening even before that. 

There was something that Kenma mentioned before leaving the night of the party. He had overheard you mention to Bokuto that she said she shouldn't have written you.

"She probably didn't mean that," He had said, catching himself, "I mean, she went through a lot when she first stopped talking to you. She regretted that she did that. She needed you."

Akaashi wanted to pry, but didn't know what to ask. He also thought maybe it was best to hear from you, if you ever spoke to him again.

After a moment, he took out his notebook and started writing.

- ♡ - 

Akaashi and Bokuto walked towards the field where groups of kids gathered. Bokuto had been home from training for the weekend and wanted to get together with everyone before he had to leave again.

"I think Kuroo said he'll meet us around here ... somewhere." He looked around, before turning to Akaashi. The area was more crowded than he had expected.

Akaashi kicked one of the rocks in the dirt path. 

"She might be here," Bokuto tried to reassure him, "I know that's what you're hoping for."

"Did Kuroo say if Kenma was coming?"

He knew that was the only way you would show. Bokuto explained everything once Akaashi headed back to the party. He confirmed Kenma had feelings for you, but she only considered him as a friend. Nothing happened between the two of you in the backyard, and both Akaashi and Kenma acted out of jealousy for one another.

Bokuto shook his head no.

"She hasn't responded to any of my letters."

"Maybe she didn't get them?" Bokuto uncomfortably stared back at Akaashi, knowing that it was a lame excuse.

As they approached the top of the hill, other teenagers and families swarmed around them, trying to find a good spot to watch the meteor shower. 

"Maybe I should let her g-" Akaashi was suddenly interrupted.

"Hey, guys!" Kuroo shouted from down the hill behind them, waving to come meet him, "We found a spot where you can see everything pretty well."

We.

Akaashi instantly looked at Bokuto with a hopeful expression.

"What were you saying?" Bokuto laughed before jogging down the hill.