08

𝓭𝓮𝓳𝓪 𝓿𝓾 // 𝓸𝓵𝓲𝓿𝓲𝓪 𝓻𝓸𝓭𝓻𝓲𝓰𝓸

[ cw // underage drinking ]

You threw one shot back, feeling the burning sensation of the liquid as it hit the back of your throat. Your face scrunched up in disgust. It wasn't the most fun thing to do, but you didn't know how else to calm your nerves.

"Maybe you should take it easy," Kenma said, grabbing the next shot from your hand.

The two of you stood in a corner, away from the chaos in happening in the kitchen. 

You rolled your eyes, tilting your head with the motion. You tried your best to act cute, knowing the only way Kenma would cave and hand back the shot was to flirt a little. 

"Just one more," You fluttered your lashes, and gave a small innocent smile.

Kenma didn't seem amused as he held up the glass between his index finger and thumb.

"Last one."

You took your final shot. A heat rose up to your cheeks, and started to jump up and down out of nervousness, fanning your face.

"I'm hot."

Kenma grabbed your shoulders to stop you from moving.

"Look at me, I'm going to go see if he's here. Get some air."

You swore you heard him mumble that he shouldn't have been so stupid to let you take that last shot as he walked away.

You snuck through the crowd and made your way into the backyard. There were a couple of people already back there mingling with each other.

The coolness of the night felt good against the heat that had settled in your cheeks. It would only be a matter of time before you were face to face with Akaashi. You could feel your lips reflexively pull into a smile at the thought of him.

"Kenma wouldn't happen to be looking for Akaashi, would he?"

You quickly turned around to see a girl standing right behind you. She was beautiful with her dark hair highlighted under the lights that decorated the backyard, her slender figure dressed in a blush flounce dress. But you could tell she wasn't as innocent as she looked. The glare she gave you was almost threatening.

"You're Y/n, right?" The alcohol might have been hitting you in that moment, but you could tell there was an underlying meaning to the way she said your name.

"Uh, yeah?" You didn't have an idea who this girl was, but she certainly knew who you were.

"I heard Akaashi got a letter from you, around the same time he broke up with me. You wouldn't happen to be the reason, would you?" Her arms crossed over her chest. Her question was rhetorical. She was going to blame you regardless how you answered.

But hearing Akaashi's name made you feel a little dizzy. 

"I don't think -" You mumbled.

"It's a yes or no answer. Either you are, or you aren't." She intimidated you, and you could feel your body start to tense up.

"Who are you?" Was all you could muster out.

She took a step closer to you, looking slightly down at you. 

"I'm going to get Akaashi back tonight. So I'd really appreciate it if you'd back off."

Your words were caught in your throat. You were never good with confrontation, especially when you weren't aware you did anything wrong. 

The girl bumped your shoulder as she made her way back into the party, others following behind her. You were left alone, unsure of what to do.

You felt a droplet fall down your cheek, realizing you were starting to cry. You weren't prepared for someone to come for you because of Akaashi. It was too much for you to handle in that moment.

"Y/n, he's probably going to be here -" There was a sudden pause when he caught a glimpse at you hidden beside a tree, hugging your knees tight to your chest.

"What happened?" He leaned over you, concerned.

"There was this girl - "

When you looked up at Kenma, he was already leaning down to wipe away one of your tears. He was so close to your face, you felt yourself stop breathing for a second. If he wanted to, his lips could've touched yours in a simple move. 

"Y/n, you're still beautiful when you cry," Kenma said, a blush spread across his cheeks.

His words caught you off guard and you hesitated for a second.

"Kenma," You choked out.

Those golden eyes searched yours, realizing he crossed a line. He slowly straighten up.

"I know," he whispered, "I'm sorry."

There was a silence between you two. He held out his hand to help you off the ground.

"Did you end up finding him?" You asked hopefully between sniffles.

Kenma rubbed the back of his neck, looking towards the backdoor.

"Yeah, come on." He grabbed your hand, pulling you back into the house.