Chapter 13: The Apology

- Zuko -

Even though Katara had given me a stern warning as to what would happen if I even looked in Elara's direction now that I had joined the group, I couldn't help myself from wandering towards her side of the temple. I had something I needed to do, and even though I knew the odds were not in my favor, the risk was worth it. I was willing to endure anything if it meant that I could see Elara again—even if just for a moment.

But I wasn't just risking my neck just to see her. No, there was something far more important for me to do, and I was ready to sacrifice myself to the spirits if that what it took to get it done. I needed to apologize—and for reals this time. I had to prove to Elara that I truly regretted what I did, and it didn't matter what I would have to do to get there. The whole world could have hated me, for all I cared, but for some reason, even just the thought of Elara being angry with me was pure torture. And considering how furious she should have been with me, I was probably as good as dead. And I was content with that.

I stopped right outside Elara's door, the only indicator that anyone was home coming from the muffled conversation within (although, it almost seemed as if that boy, Sokka, was talking to himself). I knew that I probably shouldn't intrude, but I also knew that if I didn't apologize right then, I would probably never get the opportunity again. So, as I released a shaky breath to calm myself, I raised my hand and rapped at the door.

The conversation came to an abrupt stop as the knock rang through the hall, and I soon heard the heavy footfalls of someone approaching the door—not Elara. I wondered for a moment if it would be too late to run, but I knew I couldn't keep running away from my problems, especially if Elara was involved. So, I stayed, and I quickly found myself face-to-face with and extremely irritated Sokka.

"What are you doing here?" he spit as he loomed before me, keeping Elara hidden in the room behind him.

I bowed my head humbly as I went to answer, hoping that he would sense the sincerity in my plea. "I need to speak to Elara," I answered.

"That's not going to happen," Sokka snapped the moment I had finished my thought. "It's bad enough that we're letting you teach Aang how to firebend. There's no way we're going to let you hurt Elara too."

"I don't want to hurt her," I argued gently. "I just want to talk."

Sokka scoffed at my poor excuse. "Sure. That's what they all say."

Before I even had the chance to defend my case or to accept defeat, I heard her speak, her voice—completely empty and cold, clashing with the warmth I remembered. "Let him in, Sokka," she ordered weakly.

"What?!" Sokka cried out as he turned to look at her, allowing me to catch a glimpse of her hair before she blinked out of existence once again. "But he's—"

"I said let him in," Elara cut him off before Sokka could argue further. "If he wants to talk, I'm going to let him talk."

I was fairly certain that both Sokka and I caught the malice hidden in Elara's voice as she spoke, but neither of us were willing to point it out for fear that we wouldn't live to see the next day if we did. Instead, Sokka just let out an exasperated sigh.

"Fine," he conceded uncomfortably before turning to me with all the anger of the sun. "You're on very thin ice, buddy. One wrong move, and I'll make sure that you make it back to the Fire Nation in a box."

"I'm counting on it," I answered humbly as he turned to join Elara at her side once again, allowing me to finally see her for the first time in what felt like a torturous eternity.

Elara was sitting quietly on the edge of her bed as I walked in, and I watched her wince as Sokka helped her to pull a parka over her head. I wasn't too sure what the purpose of covering herself as I entered happened to be, but if it were to cover her scars, she was just a moment too late.