Chapter Six: On the Road Again, Dakota's POV

Chapter Six: On the Road Again, Dakota’s POV

        After my team had been educated on how the 57th Expedition outside of the walls, I made another new friend, his name was Icarus. He was from the West Trainees at second place. He was great at fighting but used his blades and gas too much and ran out quickly. What a not ironic name at all. I thought jokingly. His heart was in the right place though, so that’s what mattered.

        We trained for the day that we would go out of the walls. That day was fast approaching. We were going out a month early, for a reason that our officers refused to explain. They said it as if it were for some childish reason, like a kid wanting to go back home for a toy that he forgot to take with him to the market.

        I was placed as co-leader for my group with Lily. Our group consisted of anyone who had graduated in the top ten in the 104th. That was thirteen people, aside from the South Corps, which had a special mission. We were assigned the South Flank, which, if there were any titans around, they’d be likely to hang around us, in which case we had to be constantly alert.  

        That week, we set out on our first expedition outside of Wall Rose. “Do you think we’ll see any titans?” Asked Icarus. “Of course we will. This is the Scouts, not the Trainee Corps. We’ll see and fight them.” Shouted Lily from across the field. Her horse was faster, so we left her to scout ahead.

        I was briefly chilled thinking about the Smiling Titan. At that moment I felt a shake in the ground. A crawling deviant was here! I shouted, “There’s a crawler approximately seventy-five feet behind us!” I readied my blades for the coming fight. I did a successful backflip off my horse and latched my hook to a huge nearby tree. The rest of them did the same, although not as swiftly as Lily and I. One kid nearly fell from the tree. How’d you get in the top ten? I thought jokingly.

        The abnormal class giant was upon us. I told my group to swarm it, with Lily, Icarus, and I nearest to the head since we were more skilled. The rest of them would start shearing away the heels and the back of the wrists so that Lily and Icarus could take the neck. I would be on it’s face and try to  cut it’s eyes out before anything. “If we can all work together, we should have full gas and blades by the end of this fight.” I said. 

        I went onto the titan’s back and then sent up a green flare for them to come to. all but two came, the pair were dumbfounded. I doubt they’d ever seen or killed one before. Oh well, I won’t endanger the mission just to make a pair of stupid wannabe soldiers move. The rest were ready and had already started to shear away the titan’s Achilles tendon and wrist muscles. I spun around to it’s forehead and  threw a couple blade that I had found lodged in it’s back into the titan’s eyes. It started screaming and shaking. I watched in horror when the rest of my team screamed and were stepped on into mush all except for Icarus and Lily.

        I was so glad I wasn’t the last one when I saw my friends knocked out on the ground. Oh, why do these things always happen to me? I cut out the beast’s neck and grabbed Lily and Icarus, who were light thanks to athletic conditioning. I put them on the pack horse and tied thee pack horse to Lily’s scout horse, which I now rode. I made the sacrifice of letting the horses go to confuse and hopefully slow the giants down.

        I caught up with the rest of the South Flank and refilled my gas and blades. I had 87 titan kills now. It was very hard for me to believe. We got the mangled bodies of the ten dead from my former squad once Icarus and Lily were awake. It was both horrifying and disgusting. Imagine cleaning up the dead bodies of your family.

        A few hours later, I saw a titan that took a very feminine shape with blonde hair.