Chapter 3: What a Waste, Klara's POV

Chapter 3: What a Waste Klara's POV

        I felt bad for leaving Dakota behind. Why would he join the Scouts? I thought. Does he really want to die? Oh well, I joined the Military Police. But hey, I might be a coward, but is it really cowardly to want to live? One part of me was relieved, while the other told me that I was a terrible person for leaving a friend behind. You’re a coward, Klara. You just wanted to save yourself so that you could live the rest of your life inside the posh halls of the MP’s. You got what you wanted, but you hardly know anyone here. You would’ve at least had Dakota with you if you joined the Scouts, but what’s a good life if you’re living rich without any friends?

        “Wake up Klara.” said Annie, one of my new roommates. She was from the Southern 104th trainees. Annie really creeped me out. Imagine her as a titan! I’d die just by looking at her. It was my first day as a police officer! I was so excited. The night before, I had purchased my new 3DMG! I got with my graduation cash the nicest kind on the market with anti-rust metal and longer wires. I also purchased the premium blade/gas pack with the last of my money. For the next 15 years, I can just show up at a gas/blade cart and get refilled with the premium gas and black blades.

        I got ready really fast and put on my gear when I went outside. The rest of the rookies were there in a line. Oh, I forgot my hair tie! I sprinted to my room and tied back my long reddish brown hair. As soon as I got back out, I stood in line.

        “At the bathroom, there are two mops. You’ll clean the bathroom and then do any house and outdoor keeping that needs to be done. After that, you may practice using your 3DMG out in the streets of the Stohess District.” Said the officer in charge of the rookie squad/ 104th trainees.  

        “Wait, sir. Why are we doing all of the housework while you and the others casually lie around drinking coffee and eating scones? Is this what the rookies have to do all of the time?” I inquired. This was unfair. “If you give me that kind of attitude again young lady, you’re in the slammer for the next six months and then put in the Scouts. Burt I’ll let you in on a little secret. All of us are cowards. You, me, that idiot over there. We came here because we’re scared of the titans, now get to work!” 

        And we did, we scrubbed the toilets, washed the roofs, and did ALL of the laundry. I hated being a policewoman if this is what it meant to be an MP. I guess the MP's were corrupt. Just then, I felt a hard punch against my left temple, and the rest was a blur. 

        I woke up after what seemed like days in a dark, cold room. "Where am I?" I said with a dazed and wobbly voice. "You're in hell" said a gravelly voiced silouhette right across from me.