Play It Like You Mean It: Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"I can't get the notes right," I yelled aloud, and to no one in particular since no one is home right now.

Dad is probably at work and as for Nathan, he is nowhere to be found. Not that is matters much since Nathan is most likely hooking up with some girl somewhere. My brother is a player, and he say it loud and proud.

I sighed once again, and looked at my music sheet for the new song. It was difficult, to say the least, and I keep on messing up my notes on my base guitar. I tried to play it again, but like before, it sounded cacophonous. I growled to myself and set aside the guitar as I landed face down on the couch. I feel so freaking helpless right now.

"I know you miss me, but you know you don't have to cry," I heard Nathan's voice said from above me.

I didn't answer and I turned to face my brother with a black expression.

"Who did you finish hooking up with?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

He grinned at me when he said, "Vanessa from the soccer team. Man, she knows how to make a guy feel good."

"TMI, bro. I don't really need to know how she made your little friend excited," I said.

He just chuckled at me and ruffled my hair before asking, "So why the hell were you face down on the couch. You weren't practicing making out with someone were you?"

I glared at him and said, "No, Nate, just no. That's nasty. And I don't need practice kissing, moron."

"Really? Is that why you haven't had a boyfriend since the eighth grade?" he smirked.

Huh, it looks like Nathan doesn't know about me and Asher yet. How strange.

"Shut the fuck up. And yes, I have a boyfriend just so you know," I hissed at him before picking up my guitar again.

"Wait, what?" He asked. I guess that triggered his protective brother mode out of him.

"I'm surprised you don't know about that. I mean, rumors spread faster than diseases at our school," I continued, ignoring my brother's angry gaze.

"Who is it?" he asked.

"Asher," I simply replied.

"Hold on a minute. Asher? As in Asher Cain?" he asked me, shock written all over his face.

"Huh. You know him?" I asked.

"McKayla, what the hell is wrong with you? Are you even aware of the fact that he is a fucking player? He messes with girls, and he is doing exactly the same thing to you?" he accused, clenching his fist into two balls.

I set my guitar back to its stand and stared at Nathan, with a challenging gaze of my own.

"Like you, dear brother? You are such a damn hypocrite, you know that! As if he's the only player in this school. Hell, you are probably 10 times worse than he is, and unlike you, he's actually willing to stop it because he's got me!" I snapped.

"I fucking swear, you are so damn blind! You know the reason why I became the fucking player that I am today?!" he stood up, and punched the wall besides him.

"How the hell would I would I know? Before you were my brother, the guy who is sweet and caring, but then you turned into some douche who fucks any girl with a vagina!" I yelled aloud, tears threatening to spill.

"Then you know Asher less than I thought. Did he tell you that he was the reason why I turned into this? Did he tell you that he hooked up the girl I love just to prove that he can? Just to prove that he can mess with me whenever he can?" he yelled back at me.

"Cara?" I asked him.

Nathan nodded and I collapse onto the sofa.

Cara was Nathan's sweetheart since the fifth grade. They were always together, and Nathan adored her. I thought that they were perfect together, until one night, after a party, Nathan staggered home completely messed up and saying that he and Cara broke up. I didn't know why or how, but from then on, Nathan completely shut off and he started his rounds on one night stands and hook ups.

Nathan looked at me, and I saw that he had tears in his eyes. It was true, I could see it that much. Talking about Cara seems to bring out his broken heart and I couldn't take that. I wordlessly opened my arms and he collapse into them. And he cried his heart out, just like I did.

He was shaking, and completely vulnerable for the first time. And I, was feeling the same thing. I really liked Asher, that was for sure, but I don't know how I feel know knowing that he hurt my brother.

Wordlessly, Nathan wrapped his arm around me and held me closer into his chest. Nathan hadn't hug me in so long and I cried harder. I cried about everything; mom leaving, Asher's past, Nathan's past, and of course, my past.

"Hey, it's alright, Kay," he soothed.

I pulled away and said, "You and I both know that it's not."

He looked at me and said, "You haven't cried this hard since Cameron-"

"Don't, please don't," I begged, and wrapped myself into a ball. At the same time, I immediately felt a pain in my chest and a new wave a tears crashed into me.

"I'm sorry," Nathan said, and he held me once again.

I don't want to be reminded of what that bastard Cameron did or how he ruined my life. That's my past, and I don't want to do anything about it anymore, even though I know in my heart that it's not going away. The pain of what he did is still there, and it's the reason why I'm so introverted. That will never change.

When I was done crying, I looked at Nathan's shirt and grinned.

"Well, you can always throw your shirt away," I suggested and Nathan laughed.

"Or burn it. Your germs are quite disgusting," he answered and I pushed him with my shoulders.

"Is that any way to treat your awesome of a brother?" he asked feigning hurt.

"Please don't make me barf," I smirked at him.

He smiled at me then turned serious.

"McKayla, promise me something. Promise me you won't see Asher anymore. I don't want him anywhere near him," he spoke in a serious tone.

I looked at Nathan and said, "I can't, Nathan. I'm sorry."

"Why not? I don't want you to end up like the girls he dropped," Nathan told me in a worried tone.

I sighed, "Like it or not, I have to see him at band practice."

"Please, McKayla. Don't be like those girls," he begged me.

I turned to him and smiled sweetly, "Since when I am like most girls?"

With that, I turned to walk upstairs and into my bedroom where I collapse onto my bed. I heard a beep on my phone and opened it to see a text from Asher.

Hey, beautiful, how is the song going?

I replied . Eh...we have to talk. Meet me at Greenside Park in fifteen minutes.

I sighed, it's time for the truth to come out, whether I like it or not. And I refuse to be in the dark any longer even if my past is dark.

 ***Sorry if I took awhile to upload. I had a writer''s block, but I had some help.***