Part 7

As I rushed into the cave I noticed that the ground was very smooth and thecave itself was rather wide. It was also very dark. I could see a feint light always off this Iwas unsure of how far that was away. I probably should have waited until morning. As longas this is the last part of the jungle it will be worth the risk. While the air outside had beenrather warm in the cave if felt like the middle of winter. Shivering I continued to make myway towards the light. While the floor was smooth there were still some stalagmites that Ineeded to work my way around.There were a few insect in the cave giving me some small amount of light. I couldhear water droplets hitting the stone as moved through the darkness. The light at the endhad gotten a little bigger and brighter. Behind me I heard something scraping the stonefloor. Whipping around I saw the glow of a snake.Just move slowly, you don't know how good it's night vision is. As I began to moveaway from it, it suddenly whipped around and looked straight at me. I could feel myself paleas it began slithering towards me. Glancing behind I saw that I was still at least one hundredyards away from what I hoped would be the exit of the cave. I began to run towards the lightusing the bugs to determine where the stalagmites were. While my speed had definitelyimproved from before, I looked behind to see the serpent was moving just as fast. I was stilltwenty yards from the exist when the scraping became to loud for me to ignore.I turned to face the creature. As sooner as I had turned I saw it launch towards me. Irolled to the side letting it pass, but now it was between me and the exit. Unlike how I facedthe Red Ones I decided to stay on the defensive. Luckily the snake did not seem to have aparalyzing gaze. It coiled up ready to strike again. It snapped forward, this time going formy legs. I side stepped the strike, but it was already back in a coiled, ready to strike again.Deciding that I would not be successful in landing a blow with my knife I took my pack offand held it like a shield in front of me.It attacked again and this time I was able to bat it aside with my pack. Using theopening I jumped over its body and began running. It must of hit its head on the stonepretty hard, because it did not follow me. Making it to the light I was relieved to see anopening out. Dashing out I looked around to see a few trees to the sides of the clearing, anda giant stone cliff blocking the path forward.I must have been going downhill in the jungle and cave because the size of the cliffwas almost twice as high as the regular sides of the canyon before the jungle. I knew I needto start the climb soon because the snake was still somewhere nearby. Taking a moment toeat and take some water I got ready to climb the cliff. I took another look at my bandage andwas able to see that it had stayed on, thankfully. While the cliff was tall it did seem to beclimbable, with even a few small platforms I could sit on.I began to make my way up the cliff. It started off rather well but soon I could start tofeel the burn. I had made it up around twenty feet when I looked up and to the left to see asmall platform I could rest on. I began making a diagonal path towards the resting spot. As Ipulled myself up into the spot, I saw it was only three feet wide. Slowly turning I was able tosit on the ledge. While I was never scared of heights per say this did make me nervous howclose I was to the edge. I could start to feel some wind blow in my face. It was refreshing as Isat there taking a breather. Looking down I was lucky that I had already begun the climbbecause I could see the glowing serpent on the ground outside of the cave. Rubbing myhands, I maneuvered myself into a standing position and began climbing again as Icontinued to climb, I looked up to see I still had about fifty feet to go. Reaching up I grabbeda branch. It snapped and I was left hanging on with one hand. I yelled out as I could feel mygrip failing. Looking for a hand hold frantically I saw a root sticking out of the cliff. It was atleast two feet to the right and a foot above me. I pulled with all my might and latched on tothe root, my other hand slipping from it hold. I was able to find my footing under the rootand was able to relax some. I looked at my fingertips, they looked rough. Well that won'thelp me the rest of the way. Grimacing I saw I still had twenty feet left. Looking behind me, Iwas able to see some of the top of the canyon, and the moon.You're almost there. I began climbing again, it took another half hour but by the timeI reached the top my arms were burning, and I felt a sense of relief. I felt the sand on myarms and the wind was much stronger now. Sitting up I saw what looked like an oceanmade of sand. The sand blew over the gaps in the canyon making it look like one surface.Looking forward I could see in the distance the caves. I am almost there. I soon fell to thegrip of sleep.