Part 2

As I walked through the canyon I noticed two thing, the first was that it was lateafternoon, meaning that I would have the Red Ones after me soon, and two the red stone ofthe canyon was getting much darker, as was the orange making it hard to see. I unsheathedthe knife I had on my side and continued to move forward cautiously, but still maintaining asteady pace. Glancing to the side I noticed another tall oak tree. I was tempted to climb up itand hope that the creatures would miss me, but I knew that had a low chance consideringhow bright it was. You've got this, all it takes is one good strike to the body to take them out,and hopefully the fact that I am alone will keep a minimum of Red Ones catching my scent.As I continued to walk through the afternoon, I felt more and more relieved. I couldtell from the sky that the sun began to set. Looking forward I saw a clearing ahead. I took afew steps out into the rocky clearing when suddenly I felt myself get slammed into from theside. As I started to get up, I could see my knife ten feet away. Getting onto one knee Ijumped to the left and towards my knife. Behind me I could hear the stone scraping as if bygiant swords. My hand latched onto my knife, and I stood up looking to where I fell. That iswhen I got my first good look at the creatures that had killed my companions.They were somewhat tall around six and a half feet, though it was hard to tell due totheir crouched poses. There where two of them, they each had shriveled red skin, threelong, boney, fingers with sharp claws and long strips of greyish brown hair going downtheir necks. Their eyes were pitch black and they had no mouths.They circled me and let their claws scrape against the ground. I tried not to make eyecontact, though I doubt I could have seen any idea of when they were going to strikethrough their pitch-black eyes. Deciding to take the initiative I lunged forward towards theone I was facing. I had clearly caught it by surprise as it tried to leap backwards. As Islashed my knife down, I could feel it cut through the wrinkly red skin. Trying to turnquickly to face the other one I felt my backpack get ripped off me as the other creaturelunged by me. The first monster seemed to get over its leg injury as it began to charge atme. Instead of diving to the side I dove forward bringing my knife down as the Red Onepassed under me. As I stabbed into its spine, through the hair on its back, I saw it turn tosmoke. Landing on my back I tried to get up but there was nothing protecting me this timeas the other monster landed on me. Its spiny feet held my own down as I felt its left set ofclaws enter my arm. I screamed out. Looking into its eyes I felt petrified. This is it; this ishow I die. It seems fitting that I should go like the rest of my group.I then felt the back of my left hand brush up against my knife. I grabbed it andheaved it into the right side of the monster's temple. As soon as the blade enter thecreature vanished into black smoke. I moaned as I forced myself to sit up. I felt more andmore tired as I sat there. Looking at my right arm I could see the three cuts bleeding fromthe insertion of the claws, but I could also see a faint light mist leaving the wound as well. Ipaled as I realized that my essence was literally leaving my body. I crawled over to my tornpack as fast as I could. Please let there be something for me to wrap my arm with. Lookinginside the bag I saw nothing I could use. I moaned, looking back at my bag I realized both ofmy straps were mostly intact. The straps themselves were made of thick wide pieces ofcloth. Taking the knife, I cut off one of the straps. I wrapped it around my wound as tight aspossible and tied it. Afterwards I examined the wrap and was relieved to see neither bloodnor my essence was leaking through.As night began to fall, I crawled over to the farthest corner of the clearing. Luckily,there was no moon is the sky tonight, so I was relatively hidden. The corner had no trees init but I could feel some roots as I lay on the stone floor. Positioning my pack against the backof the wall I took out my first of four canteens of water and finished it off. As I lay there, Iremember our departure on the biggest journey of my life. It felt like ages ago, but it hadonly been ten days. I remembered not being worried at all. Hundreds, if not thousands, ofmages had made the trip before and had been fine. And while there had been a few fatalitiesI never thought that my group would be consider one of the biggest losses in the history ofthe Call. All I really cared about was passing the test and finding the material which I woulduse to make my own weapon and bond with it. Each material would give the creator adifferent power. Iron would give you the ability to move the earth. Brass would allow you toheal and grow things. Now I would give even my magic to be back at the academy. As Islowly drifted off to sleep, I grabbed my arm and leaned back against the torn bag. Howmuch longer do I have to travel to reach the caves, and hopefully safety.