01

𝓼𝓮𝓻𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓷 // 𝓰𝓲𝓻𝓵 𝓲𝓷 𝓻𝓮𝓭

Hi  Akaashi,

It's been a while. I think the last time I wrote to you was a couple years ago when we would've been starting high school together. Now we're both second years. Unless you were held back, but I doubt that.

I haven't had a chance to tell you that I've been back a while. I never actually left, to be honest. 

A lot has happened, which is why I never responded properly.

I know this stupid pen-pal thing only started when we were younger, and I felt like we were friends too. But I wasn't ready to meet then. 

I should've. Maybe then I would've chosen Fukurodani instead of Nekoma.

If you still want to, I'd be willing to meet you.

Yours,

Y/n

Akaashi gripped the edges of the paper. 

It's been a while...

...Meet you...

Yours.

His feelings for you had faded over the few years of silence. Akaashi thought that maybe you were too old to keep writing to each other back and forth, and that was why you never responded.  He thought he'd at least get the chance to meet you, see what you actually looked like, and get your number in person so he could talk to you more easily.

But he never got the opportunity. Checking the mailbox everyday became an annoyance after a while. Eventually, high school started and slowly you seemed to forget about each other. Every now and again, you would creep into the back of his mind, and Akaashi would shake the thought immediately.

Now that you were back, and so easily in reach, maybe his feelings never actually left - but laid dormant.

"What you got there?" Bokuto asked, snatching the paper from behind him, snapping him out of his thought of you.

"Oooh," he teased playfully, "a pen-pal?" 

"Give it back." As much as Akaashi didn't like to snap at Bokuto, reading a letter from you was a lot to take in this early in the morning.

"You better keep this from Hayami, you know she probably won't be too happy if she sees this." Bokuto handed back the letter without any hesitation.

Hayami. Akaashi had been meaning to end their relationship. Her jealousy was starting to create conflict between them, especially after the last incident. Akaashi was only trying to study with another girl from class, and Hayami did not take a liking to it. He got an earful the enter walk home that day.

"Nekoma, huh? We practice with them soon." Bokuto mentioned as they entered the building, "Maybe Kuroo and Kenma know who she is."

Akaashi didn't respond. His only thought was of how to deal with Hayami. Because seeing Y/n was near impossible if she was going to be around.

"When do we go to Nekoma?" Akaashi asked, wondering how long he had to break it off with his girlfriend.

Bokuto took a second to think.

"Tomorrow afternoon."

Before Akaashi could register what little time he had, his name rang throughout the hallways. 

"Akaashi!" Hayami sang, jumping on his back.

Hayami was conventionally beautiful, and considered popular in Fukurodani. Akaashi was told he was lucky to have her by his other teammates. It's not that Akaashi didn't necessarily agree that Hayami was attractive, he just didn't see himself to be lucky only because of her.

"What?" Akaashi said unamusingly.

"You're not happy to see me?" Her face turned sour. It wasn't hard to do. She seemed to constantly be waiting for someone to say or do the wrong thing. 

Bokuto stood between the two, an uncomfortable smile spread across his face looking back and forth at the both of them, who seemed to be having an angry staring contest.

 "Akaashi, maybe we should ..." Bokuto said, trying to break the tension, but Akaashi stopped him.

"Go without me."

Akaashi didn't break eye contact with Hayami. He knew if he broke it, he wouldn't be able to follow through.

The only thing on his mind was you.

If you still want to, I'd be willing to meet you.

Akaashi wanted to meet you. And the only person standing in his way, was right in front of him.