Chapter 4: Gone

At around six-thirty, Steven and Emily Cruz--Benji's parents--finally came home. Mr. Cruz is an incredibly successful businessman, who has connections with almost half of New York. He also owns multiple business units and works harder than any person I know. Benji would kill me if he knew I kind of looked up to his dad. He had has job I wanted to have one day. I never grew up with any money and it looked luxurious.

Benji is probably bored of it--the endless social events, the maids, the huge penthouse and just the Upper East Side in general, but me... I want that. Secretly, I want all that so much.

Mrs. Cruz is a rather social woman--elegant, pretentious, but also manipulative. She did marry a businessman, after all, so she picked up a few things from him. Of course, Benji despised them for making him attend their weekly tennis games with another rich family, the Aldrin's, and their annual house party every Thanksgiving.

In a weird way, I envied Benji. He has always had it all but never appreciated it. He's my best friend, but he's never worked for anything in his whole life. His spot in NYU? All thanks to his father.

"Darling!" Emily leaned in for a hug. "How are you? We've missed you around here."

"I'm good, thank you for asking, Mrs. Cruz." I hug back.

"And you're staying for dinner, dear?" She asked.

I looked over to Benji, who was still sitting on the couch with somehow a cocktail in his hand. He raised his eyebrows at me and nodded slowly. "Yes? Yes. I am."

"Good, good. I'll have Tina get started on it."

"Tina? New maid?" I wondered.

"It will be her first day. She should be here any minute. But never mind her, darling, sit." She gestured toward the couch. She sat down across from Benji and me, who was still sipping his drink. 

"Benji, really? You know you're still eighteen, right?" She said, referring to his alcoholic beverage.

"I'll never be this young again. I should be making the most of it, shouldn't I?" He said sarcastically, glancing at me and smiling.

I smiled back, not too brightly though, I didn't want to get on Emily's bad side.

Benji's parents have a strange rule on alcohol. They have a ton of it in the house and honestly, I don't think they minded Benji drinking, but they've never once stopped him. They've always discouraged it, but never have they grabbed a drink from his hand and stopped him.

They know about his drinking and partying and have always frowned upon it, but at the same time, I don't think they really care. They just worry about what other people would think.

"Would you like anything to drink, Brandy?" Steven asked me.

"Just water is fine. Thank you." I answered sweetly.

"You're amazing, Brandy." Emily flattered me. "You do not resemble Benji's school friends one bit. I love it! They always ask for alcohol or just take it without asking. You're such a wonderful influence on him." She smiled big.

"Benji isn't so bad." I turned to him and smirked. "A little dumb, but charming as anyone could be."

"Isn't he?" She rolled her eyes. "I don't know how you put up with him for so long. He is such a nuisance."

"I'm sitting right here." He reminded her.

"I know, dear, that's why I'm saying it." She said seriously.

Steven handed me my water and sat down next to Emily. "Tell me, Brandy, what is new with you? Any news on universities?"

I bit my lip anxiously and turned to Benji, who was clearly not paying attention. "Actually, yes, I did get a letter from NYU this morning."