𝙵𝚒𝚟𝚎

∗

Well, dear reader, it should seem
that all of Grosvenor Square has been left to ponder a rather scandalous question, indeed.

Might one former diamond's recent fall from grace turn out to be the most damning scandal of all?

"Ladies and gentlemen, a most extraordinary event
is about to take place. Right this way! Come! Come!"

"It is with great privilege I present Vauxhall's
newest spectacle of illumination. Feast your eyes above and allow all that is radiant to overwhelm you!"

"Look, Brother." Elia whispered to her bother, her gaze still on the illumination.

"What is it?" He asked clueless, making her giggle. Both walking towards their family who was watching from aside.

"Miss Veuilleton." Benedict said once he was near the family, everyone turning to look at him. "Would you like to dance?"

"Lord Berbrooke's barony is over 200 years old. His lineage is legitimate. He has had an excellent education, possesses no debts, never hurt an animal or a woman, and is even a decent shot. To speak strictly, there is nothing wrong with him." Anthony told his sister in a blunt tone, a look of of confusion clearly on Daphne's face.

"What should any of this..." she asked.

"You are to marry him." He said in the same town.

"Nigel?" She asked in disbelief.

"I had to find you a husband, Sister. Now, be grateful it is done. It should be just as easy
to fall in love with Lord Berbrooke as with anyone else."

"I will not hear of this." She scoffed and walking away from her brother, taking deep breaths as she did.

"You haven't bled. It's been over a month since your arrival, and you haven't bled." Lady Featherington told Marina once she entered her room, the bed sheets on her hand. "I suppose I should be happy." She breathed. "Up until now, I've had no legitimate excuse to dispense with you. But when Lord Featherington hears of this, when your own papa hears of this..."

"Please..." Marina begged, tears in her eyes.

"I suppose I should be happy." Lady Featherington scoffed. "And if it were guaranteed
that my own ladies would not be affected by your revolting recklessness, I would be! Do you even know who the father is?"