xviii. freedom

FREEDOM
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Dahlia began to tire of the worries in her mind that only made her chest rise and fall heavily with anxiety that she knew herself she didn't need to feel

Dahlia began to tire of the worries in her mind that only made her chest rise and fall heavily with anxiety that she knew herself she didn't need to feel. Not in the peace and quiet of being on her own, devoid of the Pagan's trouble and Caliban's drama. It was unusual, Dahlia actually relishing in the isolation she used to loathe, but she felt that the longer she would stay alone, the more her stresses would eat at her brain. She had to meet someone– perhaps Sabrina or one of her friends were still at the academy.

Dahlia stood from her lying position on the hard bed that constantly made her back feel like she had endured intense physical activity, and waved her hand over her torso. The t-shirt and red plaid pyjama pants were soon laced in Dahlia's purple magic, and with the flick of her wrist, were replaced with her velvet gown. She patted the dress, evening out its thin layers and smiled contently, feeling at home at the sight of her traditional djinn dress which she had often replaced these days with a basic top and jeans. Closing her eyes and taking in a deep breath, Dahlia wished herself away to The Academy.

All Dahlia felt was a slight breeze that chilled her neck, leaving it covered in goosebumps. When she opened her eyes, she found herself at The Academy's bar. Nick stood behind the well-polished counter with a glass of alcohol in his hand, replacing the long-haired boy who she remembered to normally work at the bar. Begrudgingly, she walked toward him, not in the slightest interested in speaking to him given how narcissistic he was, but she had no other choice.

"Dahlia, what are you doing here?" He placed his cup down, leaning forward against the counter.

"Have you seen Sabrina?" He shook his head, to which Dahlia wasted no time to turn around and walk away.

"Wait- hold on." He followed after her like a dog.

Dahlia could feel his feet padding along behind her as she trotted down the hallway on the left, looking through every door she passed in search of Sabrina or Ambrose. As she approached a crossroad at the end of the hall, she looked in both directions. A grin formed on her face when she saw the blonde girl standing in the small hall to the right.

"Sabrina!" Dahlia cheered as she walked toward her. "You're not on the next quest?" The brunette furrowed her eyebrows in realization.

"No, I'm about to, though. Please don't tell me Caliban's already gone," Sabrina said, her eyebrows raised pleadingly. Caught off guard when a taller figure appeared behind Dahlia, Sabrina's expression faded and was replaced by a toneless stare. "Nicholas, what are you doing here?"

"Watching the bar for Dorian... Uh, what's going on?"

"Nick, everything," Sabrina sighed, squeezing the bridge of her nose. "My Aunt Zelda was shot. My Aunt Hilda was also shot. Blackwood's come back– he's working with the Pagan's now..." She unloaded, listing everything off in her head like they were written on a checklist that kept going on and on.