vii. blindside

BLINDSIDE
CHAPTER SEVEN

Dahlia's finger traced along the books stacked messily on the large bookcases of the library

Dahlia's finger traced along the books stacked messily on the large bookcases of the library. Her index finger, now covered in dust, searched for a new book to keep her occupied. The night before had been a restless one with her unending worries about the carnival and her scar keeping her up all night. The only thing that distracted Dahlia's tired mind from wandering off to her fears was the book she had started and managed to finish that very night. Along with her partial freedom, Hell's library had been the only thing keeping her sane. Being surrounded by books filled with majestic mythology and incredible histories that had been left to dust and taken for granted for centuries was the best company Dahlia could have imagined having.

Hell was a dark, frightening and lonely place. Dahlia no longer had the safety of her bottle, so the only places she had learned to find comfort in were the library in Hell and Cerberus Books. Every time the smell of decade-old paper filled her nose and her fingers trailed along with the thin pages of a book, her chest instantly fluttered with a sense of home. The dozens of bookcases and shelves layered with untouched books were her favorite way to escape the reality she was trapped in. Everything was old-fashioned and ancient. Most surfaces were covered in dust, but it was still all so beautiful and powerful in Dahlia's eyes.

The tips of Dahlia's fingers tingled with sparks of purple as she dragged them over the hard covers of the books. With her eyes closed, she narrowed her thoughts to the Unholy Regalia, trying to use her powers to identify any books that contained information about it that may better prepare her for the next quest. She would prefer learning from anyone or anything as long as it wasn't Caliban. She felt the tingling sensation strengthening at the tips of her fingers and at her core, but just as her hand was about to land on a book about the Unholy Regalia, Dahlia's eyes sprung open to the sound of a door slamming. The sound echoed throughout the large, high-ceilinged room, and Dahlia spun around to check who had just entered the once peaceful library.

"Sorry," a familiar voice said sheepishly. Dahlia sighed with relief when her eyes landed on Sabrina who smiled apologetically.

"Don't be," Dahlia said through a soft chuckle. "Better you than one of the Infernal Court members." She shuddered, scrunching her face up in disgust at the thought of them.

"Right? What is up with those guys?" Sabrina laughed along, walking past a few bookshelves to get closer to the girl. "They could really use a facial."

Dahlia giggled and looked down at her hands. It had been long since she had properly smiled or laughed. She had more fun talking to Sabrina in the past two minutes than she had when talking to Caliban in the last almost two weeks. Sabrina was being so nice to her, and it made Dahlia feel all the more guilty. The soft smile faded from her face, memories of the last time she had seen Sabrina flashing through her head. She glanced back up at Sabrina, this time without her toothy grin. "I'm really really sorry about that night at the carnival. I didn't want Caliban to leave you stranded. I would have helped if I could."