Ch. 9: Where It All Began

Editor's Note: The amount of reads is amazing! If only the votes could be the same way...

***********************************

We were downstairs in a flash. He had taken us to the same dining room that held the fancy dinnerware on the long table, now filled with food that could feed a community. My jaw dropped, I was conscious enough to catch the water trying to slip from my lips, my stomach groaning in anticipation. Salem laughed quietly, hearing my stomach's complaint I assumed.

"There's so much. I can't possibly finish all of this by myself." I confessed.

"Well they didn't know what you preferred and tried asking me if I could read your thoughts to get a better choice of meals. I declined naturally. I don't want to intrude in your mind without your permission on personal matters. I'd rather do it the old fashion way and observe with my own eyes." He explained, smiling his adorable smile. 

I appreciated him for not reading my thoughts as freely as he could. He then pulled a chair for me and offered the seat to me. I was flattered, and sat down, now being pushed gently toward the table. Salem then took the plate in front of me and moved towards a honey baked ham. 

"Do you care for ham? If not there are other proteins. Simply point and I'll arrange the meal for you, love." He mused.

"I like ham, and I'll try whatever catches my interest, and everything else..." I said bashfully, less ashamed due to me giving into my stomach's desires. 

Salem chuckled lightly as he retrieved a piece of each dish from the ones I designated. By the end my plate was filled with assorted vegetables and fruit. He laid it before me and then sat next to me, observing. I tried to behave myself, eating politely, ignoring the instinct to stuff myself full. My thoughts were clear intentionally, keeping Salem from catching any hint of my restraint from hunger. 

He may not have had access to my mind when it came to actions, but his own instinct kicked in as he laid a hand upon my free one.

"You're keeping something from me. Your mind is never this clear and unreadable. What are you hiding?" He asked smirking.

"Nothing important. I'm just trying not to look like a complete pig." I giggled, chewing politely. 

Salem leaned forward, resting his chin in his palm, his gaze seem to be searching for something in my eyes. 

"What is it?" I asked cautiously.

"You're beautiful." He complimented.

I gulped hard. His response was not what I was expecting to hear.

"Where did that come from?" I asked. 

Salem ignored my question rising to walk to a pitcher, taking a wine glass before him, and poured water into it. He smiled and made his way towards me, placing the glass in front of me. I took it generously, drinking slowly and awaiting an answer. He didn't have to read my mind to know that I hated being ignored.

"I feel you shouldn't worry about how I view you. There's nothing you could do that would repulse me. You eat delicately naturally. It becomes painfully obvious when you try too hard." He chuckled, showing his brilliant white teeth as he smiled at me. 

I couldn't help but smile shyly back at him. He took his place at my side as he did before, returning to that same pose, observing.

"You make it hard not to be worried. The way you're studying me is a bit intense." I noted. Salem's eyebrow raised slightly.

"Oh?" He mused, now intrigued. 

"Yes. It's like you're seeing right into my soul. Didn't your mother ever tell you it was rude to stare?" I mocked, now smiling and taking a small portion of ham in my fork, and placed it in my mouth.