03 - Family Matters

FAMILY MATTERS

A week went by and we still hadn't heard from Mom. An uneasy feeling had settled in my stomach and no matter what I tried, it wouldn't go away. I even contemplated involving the police but Declan wouldn't hear any of it. Despite her long absence, Declan was convinced that Mom would simply walk through the door any moment now. I couldn't help but wish that I shared his confidence.

After staying at home for three more days and then the weekend, Tommy went back to school on Monday. While Tommy and Jessie were at school and Declan was at work, I had too much free time on my hands. I didn't have anything or anyone to keep my mind occupied and more than once, my thoughts drifted off to Nick. I hadn't seen or heard from him since he left that evening, but I knew he still talked to Declan - I'd overheard them on the phone on several occasions. Unlike before, he no longer stopped by unannounced ‘to see Declan’. He didn't come up with crazy excuses to come speak to me. He ignored me and I couldn't blame him. Being pushed away by me, time after time again, he had every right to avoid me. Since he'd taken an effort to keep his space, I felt obliged to do whatever it took to return the favor.

After I finished folding the clean washing and put another load in the washing machine, I didn't quite know what to do with the rest of my Tuesday afternoon. The house was eerily quiet when it was only Xeena and me. It caught me by surprise that I actually felt bored now that I was almost done with all the piled up laundry – the electricity bill had finally been paid. I let myself fall on the couch and opened the television in the hopes of finding something that would keep my mind from worrying about Nick, Mom, bills or shopping that needed to be done… I startled when my phone vibrated in my pocket and couldn't hold back a smile when I saw it was a text from Hannah, my friend who'd gone studying abroad for two semesters.

"He is the most perfect guy you can imagine!" she texted me and before I could reply, I received another one that said "Can't believe he asked me out on a date! Never met a guy this amazing. Will spend the rest of our lives together! Might even invite you over to Italy for our wedding..."

"Don't know about the rest of your lives, but at least you still have another semester!" I texted back.

A few moments later my phone beeped again.

"So true! Let me rephrase: I'm sure we'll spend the rest of our lives together until I have to return, home! Have to go, don't want to keep that handsome guy waiting for me! See you next month!"

"Have fun!" I typed and I pressed the send-button.

For just a moment, I allowed my mind to wonder what it would be like to have such a carefree life and to be able to have fun and go to Italy, to meet and go out with random guys instead of having to deal with the life I led. It didn't take me long to conclude that some things simply weren’t meant to be. With that thought, I closed my eyes and let my mind drift off.

Something hit me in the face, causing me to jolt upright. I couldn't even remember falling asleep. Disoriented, I opened my eyes and noticed it was dark outside. Only a small light was on in the living room, which left the walls coated with shadows. Next to me, holding on to the side of the couch, stood a cute-looking little boy with adorable dimples on his cheeks. I moved the blanket aside that someone had used to cover me with, before picking the little kid up. Some hushed voices came from the kitchen so that's where I went to find out whom this little boy belonged.

"Look who I found in the living room!" I said when I entered the kitchen.I halted in the doorway when I spotted Nick and my older brother. They were seated at the kitchen table and whatever it was they were talking about, they didn't want me to know. Declan had stopped talking mid-sentence while sending Nick some look that I couldn't quite decipher before asking if Nick wanted anything else to drink.