THIRTY-FIVE

"Hey, Jessie!" Katie called. "Got a message for ya!"

I turned around from where I'd been busily working on the Hardy in my little garage and looked at her as she jogged up outside. Over the past nine months since Wymer had given me the manual, I'd managed to make a lot of progress on the bike. It was still far from finished, but I had the wheels, tires, most of the chassis, and some of the engine either assembled or partly so. The rest I still needed to find. The Hardy lay on its side on the floor for now until I could find and install a kickstand to keep it upright and handlebars to hold it with.

I smirked. "And how's the bride-to-be today? Excited?"

"You bet!" she laughed. "It's been four months since Tom proposed to me. With your help, of course. Only a few weeks left to go before the big day! And I really, really love the ring, Jessie."

"Looks good on ya!" I said.

Katie smiled. "I bet it did on you, too."

I stood up and wiped my grease-covered hands off on a cloth, then walked over and draped an arm around her shoulder. The diamond on its gold and mythril band sparkled in the daylight, and it didn't hurt to look at it anymore. It only made me happy. Both as a sweet reminder of all the wonderful memories I had of Kunsel and as a sign that I'd done the right thing in giving it to Katie.

I grinned at her. "Thanks, but I think it suits you more. So anyway, what's this message you mentioned?"

"Tifa needs you at Seventh Heaven," Katie answered. "I was in there talking with her about plans for the reception, so she asked me to bring you right over as soon as I could. I think the water was acting up again and she'd like ya to fix it if you can."

"Say no more! Help's on the way!" I promised.

After following Katie outside, I locked up the garage, went into my shop for a moment to grab my other toolbox, then went with her down the road. It was a nice, late summer day in early August. Fall would be here soon enough, but here in the slums, the seasons were pretty much the same most of the time. Just warmer in the spring and summer than in the fall and winter. It wasn't much different on the plate, either. I still hoped to leave Midgar one day and see more of the world, maybe even a bit of snow. I'd heard how fun it could be.

It didn't take us too long to get to Seventh Heaven. I should've seen on the way there that something was up, what with how innocent Katie was trying to act despite the occasional giggle that slipped out. But my mind was on my bike, Katie's wedding, and helping Tifa with whatever it was that needed fixing. So I didn't catch the little clues that my friend unwittingly left right there in front of me.

Katie opened the doors for me. "After you, Jessie."

"Thanks!" I shot her a little wave.

When I went in, I realized right away that it was dark inside. What was going on? The only light came from outside, and it didn't show too much. I'd also noticed before walking in that the curtains had also been drawn, keeping me from seeing much of anything in here now. I called out for Tifa, but nobody answered. Worried now, I reached over to the wall and flipped on the lights. And as soon as I did, my eyes went wide and my heart nearly leaped into my throat.

"SURPRISE!" everyone shouted.

They were all standing there—Tifa, Barret, Marlene, Biggs, Wedge, and Lena as well as Tom, Wymer, and a few other friends of mine from around town. Katie came in behind me, closing the door and laughing her head off. She'd been in on it, of course. I saw that now. Just as I saw the colorful banners strong across the ceiling, the cake with candles on it sitting on one of the tables—double chocolate, my favorite—buckets of ice cream, several pizzas steaming on pans along the bar, and even a few presents wrapped in bright, shiny paper. I knew exactly what day it was, of course, but I hadn't expected all this.