THIRTY-THREE

Almost a week later, the guys and I stood down in the basement of Seventh Heaven, the new motor with its housing sitting finished on the repaired workbench in front of us. We'd made it back home to Sector 7 without a hitch, although I hadn't been able to truly relax until we had finally stepped out of the train and off the platform. I'd hidden it pretty well behind my usual chipper self, cracking jokes and teasing the guys, but I had still felt a nervous flutter in my stomach as the ID sensor net had swept over us and the guards had walked by.

Still, it had all worked out, and we'd headed over here straight from the station. I'd spent the last several days using the parts I'd gathered to build the new motor as much as I could in between work and training, and now it was finished. It looked solid enough, but I wasn't taking any chances. Wedge was ready with the blanket, and Biggs had opened the door to the other room just in case.

"Okay, guys," I said, taking a deep breath. "Moment of truth."

Biggs gave me a thumbs up. "Good luck!"

I smiled more confidently than I felt. "Thanks. Once we make sure it works, we can finally finish the lift."

"I've got a good feeling about this," Wedge grinned.

"I hope you're right," I said.

With the guys behind me, I reached out and flicked the switch. As I held my breath, more nervous than I wanted to admit, the new motor hummed to life. No smoke, no sparks, no fire. It sounded as smooth as could be, and as I listened to it, I relaxed and spun around to Biggs and Wedge, an excited grin on my face.

"It works!" I cheered, bouncing happily up and down.

"Yeah!" Biggs thrust his fist in the air.

Wedge laughed. "I knew you could do it!"

"Thanks, Wedge," I gushed.

He tossed the blanket aside and lifted his hand. "Tri-five?"

Biggs nodded. "You said it, buddy!"

Giggling, I joined right in, and the guys and I all shared one of our three-way high fives. It felt so good to have finally gotten the motor for the lift working after so many failed attempts. Now we could finish the hideout and take another step forward in our fight for the planet. I was practically giddy with excitement.

"So what's next?" Wedge wondered.

I switched off the motor. "Well, now that we've got this working, it should only take a day or two to get it wired into the pinball table. And at least a few more to finish the elevator itself. So I think we can have it all done in just another week, tops!"

Biggs smiled and patted my shoulder. "Sounds good! Dunno 'bout you guys, but I feel like celebrating."

"Hell yeah!" I agreed.

"Pizza?" Wedge suggested hopefully.

I'd had the same thought. "You bet! Midgar Special it is! I think I'll ask Tifa to lend me a hand, too."

Wedge's face lit right up. "That'd be awesome!"

"Super duper awesome!" Biggs agreed.

It didn't take much convincing for me to enlist Tifa's help—she was happy for us and glad to pitch in—so she closed the bar early that night and we had a little Avalanche-only celebratory dinner together. Just us, Tifa, Barret, and Marlene. Although she didn't understand what it was all about, Marlene had a good time nevertheless.

"That's some damn good work you did there, Jessie," Barret said as we ate. "I knew you'd get that thing workin' sooner or later. Struck us a blow for the planet today, an' don't you forget it."