XXIV | Guilty

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR | PRAY FOR ME

______

GENEVIEVE'S EYES SNAPPED open, her breaths heaving as she frantically touched around her body and looked around.

Pools of sweat covered the silk sheets as Genevieve grasped the comforter and attempted to dry herself off, roughly scrubbing the material on her arms and legs, small, stinging rashes situating themselves on her body.

The dream was so . . . real. As her eyes snapped one corner of the room to another, Genevieve immediately noticed that the bedroom was left as it was before she fell in slumber—pill bottles littered the rest of the immense bed accompanied by various different wine and rum stains.

She found herself clenching her fists desperately, the edges of her nails engraving large crescents on her palms, almost invisible specks of blood flowing down her hand. Immediately, her jaw clenched tightly, so tightly that it brought concerning pain.

It was simple, Genevieve couldn't live with the pain, morbid enough, the nightmare seemed to fulfill her wishes—her problems would disappear so would the pain, and her love with that. How could one feel so much satisfaction and joy from something so ghoulish and macabre, it took everything for Genevieve to even accept the thought.

Her bottom lip shivered slightly as the brunette hugged her knees to her chest, rocking back and forth soothing her uneasiness. The hysteric nerves still bubbling against her stomach, goosebumps gripping onto her skin as the hairs on her arms perked up.

'I accept, but with one condition.'

'What is it?'

'Don't fall in love with me.'

Ragged breaths escaped her lips as her shoulders raised and fell all in sync.

Trembling, Genevieve reached across the bed, her hands grasping onto the phone tightly, her knuckles fading white. Snapping her dull eyes across the screen Genevieve noticed a series of notifications all dated from two months ago, to the most reason being yesterday. Skimming through them, most were various desperate texts from Jonas, Francesca and Daniel all begging for responses and news. Especially from Daniel, it had seemed that he had taken the 'big brother' role and tried pulling a couple of jokes to seem to lighten the mood, yet Genevieve was unresponsive.

What banged against her chest was the scene of Elias not caring enough for her to even send a quick 'hi'. Out of desperation, Genevieve even checked - various - times to see if he'd reach out—from text, email, calls not even through social media had he actually tried to contact her.

'You chose six clover.'

As if his voice ringed in her head, Genevieve couldn't help put claw at her unwashed hair, the week's old grease sticking onto her fingers. Elias' voice was incredibly soft, still the tone held a lace of huskiness that only few men could potentially achieve.

Genevieve leaned her head down behind her, banging it against the headboard. It gave her a moment of complete silence. That for once was appreciated.

Solitude in the early morning that seemed to put Genevieve's mind at an even ease. Far across the distance, the chatter of morning blue birds echoed from the large, voluminous trees from a small park just a block or so away. The murmur of the wind flew past ruffling the leaves, and flowing softly against the windowsill of Genevieve's large bedroom, the December air entering the flat.