Chapter 4

You left me here like a chalk outline,
On the sidewalk waiting for the rain,
To wash away,
Wash away

- Chalk Outline, Three Days Grace

c h a p t e r 4: w i l l

Will's body was paralyzed to the bed. His feet and arms were frozen in their stance while his mind was spinning in cartwheels. The kiss against his cheek still contained warmth, even from a son of Hades. His freckles began to dazzle with pure light. All he rasped was a simple, "N-Nico....." Then the dark boy sprinted from the cabin. Many demigods were as stiff as Will, others mouths were gaping in suspense. By now Will should have been racing after the broken son of Hades ,yet his heart was pounding with so much adrenaline mixed with excitement he could barley function.

With one sly motion he proceeded to stumble out of the door to snatch a glimpse of Nico sprinting towards his cabin. Dark clouds collided with black dust started swirling around the young demigod. Immediately Will summoned his loudest cry, "Nico! Don't!" This seemed only to channel Nico's feelings and within seconds of Will lunging for Nico- the son of Hades dissolved into darkness.

Will faltered with his legs causing him to collapse into the grass where Nico once stood. The air was the only thing Will was clutching to his heart. Why didn't he react faster? Perhaps Nico would still be here, entangled in Will's arms. Will imagined the son of Hades cold skin connecting with his internal heat.

Nico didn't deserve this nagging in his brain. That's why Will was so determined to save Nico's will to live. He desired to be that goal for Nico's life. He would convince the young boy that perhaps this world needed him for some purpose. People cared about him... Will cared about him. Now he was morphing into the shadows, soon to become one. Within days Nico was destined to fade away into the emptiness of the shadows. That was the reason for Will's orders and requirements.

"He'll be fine ,Will. Wherever he is... maybe it's for the best." the charm speaking of Piper's voice rang through Will's ears. Normally, deciphering the charm speaking from her common tone would be difficult yet he found it abnormally easy. "He'll be back soon enough. He's probably just went to visit his father or Hazel. We'll call Hazel over Iris message and ask her."

"No. You don't understand." Will scurried to his feet to stretch over Piper's height. He gazed deep into her chocolate orbs. His fists were clenched while his teeth were grinding against each other. "He'll be dead within the next week. He's not coming back. Ever." Will barked but was soon shoved away from her presence by Jason. The other demigods scattered while Percy and Annabeth roamed over to the scene.

Several demigods scrutinized as Will was practically bursting out as his fellow friends. Will Solace was a well known peace keeper and and extremely happy character. Still, rage and anger boiled beneath his core.

"Dude, back off." Jason muttered sidestepping in between the son of Apollo and daughter of Aphrodite.

"You people don't even care! You could care less if he fell into Tarturus!" Will hollered approaching Jason with rage laced into his pupils. "Nico cared about all of you! Now your plan is to just wait for him to arrive in the next couple of weeks?! He'll be long gone by next week!"

"Calm down. Just explain and-"

"Forget it. Like you'd care!" Will muttered swiveling away and dashing towards the lake. Perhaps he could find a place to just sprawl out, then ponder about the whole scenario- Nico was gone... and it was all his fault.

The beach weaves rippled onto the sand, delivering the grains in spirals. He kicked off his shoes then wandered down the edge of the beach allowing the cold water splash against his skin. The sun was begging to descend from the sky. Sundown. Will, along with his father- Apollo, were always delightful with random things that just caused them to simply smile. Except every Apollo child or sun god has a reason that they burst into total rage. Sure, it was unlike Will... but Nico Di Angelo was his reason.