Chapter 1

.:Author's Note:.

Cynthia at the top.

***

Toby's POV:

I could not wait for my birthday! I only had to wait one more week, seven more days, one hundred sixty-eight more hours, ten thousand eighty more minutes. Could you tell that I was excited?

I was turning eighteen and would finally be able to feel the pull of my mate.

I doubted that anyone in my pack would be my mate. I even hoped and prayed that no one in the pack turned out to be my mate. They were all cruel people that I couldn't see myself being with, except maybe Matthew. However, the chances of him being my mate were one in a million. I wanted my mate to be someone who was kind to me, and hopefully, lived far away from here. It would be nice to leave and never look back. The only people I would be concerned about was my mother, my family in the neighboring pack, and my best friend, Cynthia. Cyn was a human, and I tried to keep the knowledge of my abuse away from her.

She was a small thing, and that was coming from me. Cyn was exactly five feet short with strawberry blonde hair and green eyes. She had plump cheeks and a cute button nose covered in freckles. She always appeared kind to the public's eyes, however, she became a sadistic and scary freak when she was pissed off. Her angry side would make the devil himself piss his pants and have any Alpha werewolf run away with their tail between their legs. I didn't want my pack to experience that. Surely they deserved it, but karma was always working in my favor. They'd get what they deserved eventually.

I met Cyn in the seventh grade. I had just taken a seat in the front of the class when she decided to sit beside me. Instead of a normal greeting, like hello, the first thing she asked me was, "Are you gay?"

By that time, I was already out of the closet so I saw no issue in telling her the truth. When I nodded my head yes, Cyn squealed in happiness and deemed herself as my best-friend. I had no problem with gaining a new friend considering the fact that I didn't have one before. When we started high school, and I turned sixteen, I told her about me being a werewolf. She didn't believe me at first, but after I shifted, she demanded that I tell her everything about my kind.

Cyn promised to keep it a secret and we continued on with our lives from there. I had to tell her soon about me leaving for my mate hunt. I knew that she was going to be disappointed that I was leaving, but she would understand that I had to search for my mate. The hardest part to tell her would be the fact that I wouldn't be returning anytime soon. That was going to kill her, and me also. December sixteenth was definitely going to be a day to remember.

I sighed as I finished the rest of my homework. It was still early on a Friday night and I didn't want to be stuck in the house. Terrance was home and I didn't want to stay here, even with Mommy downstairs.

After some thought, I decided to visit the neighboring pack. It was where my extended family lived, and they had no problem with me being gay. Plus, I haven't visited them in months. A sleepover was well overdue. With that decision in mind, I texted Cyn that we were going out before hopping into the shower.

Once I was clean and refreshed, I went to my closet, picking out what to wear. I decided on a plain black T-shirt, gray skinnies, and black Toms. I left my hair ruffled and then headed downstairs. I opened the text that Cyn sent while I was getting dressed.

Cyn: Where are we going?

Me: We're just gonna chill at the Black Knight Pack for the weekend

Cyn: Okay, so nothing fancy ... got it

Me: Pick you up in a bit

Cyn: See you soon, babe