Chapter 8

Terrance's POV:

They say you don't know what you have until it's gone. I didn't really believe that phrase until I lost everything. I lost my father, I lost Toby, I lost my mother, and I lost my mate. All because I was an ungrateful jackass.

"Your father would've been ashamed of you."

That statement was constantly repeated in my head with Cynthia's menacing voice. It was like ever since she told me that, I could feel my father's heated and disappointed glare on me. It wasn't a great feeling.

Toby's birthday was the day that changed everything.

Flashback:

Some pack members were taking Matthew's unconscious body to the infirmary, and others were just leaving. I was the last person to leave when Cyn delivered her last blow to me.

"Your father would've been ashamed of you." She said. I faltered in my steps as I quickly tried to leave the room.

I didn't even look back to see if Toby was alright; I didn't care. I followed Matthew's scent and found him in a hospital bed. His face was healed from all of Cynthia's fury and now he was just unconscious. Matthew is my best friend. We've been best friends since diaper days.

Word got to the Alpha, Matthew's father, about what happened at the party. He was one of the few members that didn't know about how we were treating Toby. He came to visit Matthew the next day, furious. By that time, Matthew was already awake, so his father ripped him a new one.

"I can't believe you, Matthew Richardson!" Matthew Sr. shouted. Matthew sat in the bed with no emotions on his face as his father lectured him. "I am so disappointed in you. This kind of shit just proves that you're not ready to be an Alpha and you won't be getting that title until you grow the fuck up." He finished as he turned to me.

"And you. I could never believe that you're our greatest Beta's son. Is this how you follow in his footsteps? You abuse and watch others abuse your little brother? Since Donald isn't here to rip you a new one, I will. You're not getting that Beta position until you fucking know how to act also. Your mother is definitely going to know about this."

Alpha Matthew stormed out the room, leaving me stunned, and Matthew emotionless. I finally turned my attention to Matthew.

"How are you holding up?" I asked causing him to snap his gaze to me.

"Are you fucking serious? I got my ass knocked out by a human girl who is one foot shorter than me. How do you think I'm holding up? I'm going to kill that bitch!" He growled. I shook my head.

"You can't touch her. Not only is she human, she is also Emery's mate, and if you even think of breathing the same air as her, we'll have a war on our hands. You know we can't go against the Black Knight Pack." I told him. Matthew fumed in bed as I just watched him with a sigh. Once Matthew was over himself, we left the pack hospital and continued on with our day, avoiding the topic of Toby, completely.

***

It was a week later when things really started heating up. Toby was never in school, only Cynthia. She looked at every pack member with a vicious glare that made them cower away. However, she never once touched us. Matthew didn't go to school either, he was too ashamed to show his face and I didn't blame him.

I believed that it was the end of the week when Matthew let out a loud howl of sadness from the pack house. I raced from school to the pack house to see what the problem was. I found him pacing his bedroom.

"What the fuck happened?" I asked him. Matthew quickly turned to me, just realizing that I was standing there.

"He's gone! He left! He broke the pack connection." He ranted.