The Missing

"Robin! Slow down!" John called from just beside Niki, who was struggling to keep pace. Maggie, Will and Charlie following closely behind.

They reached the treeline bordering the entrance to the camp twenty-five minutes later. Niki had fallen back into stride with Maggie and Charlie after running out of breath in the first five minutes. Despite walking cross country since the minute they arrived in 1014, running was still a struggle for Niki.

The camp was quiet as Robin raced through the narrow gap in the rocks to their hidden home.

"Marian!?" He bellowed, catching himself before he tripped headfirst into the snuffed out campfire. "Marian!"

"Robin?!" Came her voice from the edge of the woods. A moment later her flushed face appeared through the leaves, her sword was out and gripped effortlessly in her left hand.

"Marian! What's happened? Are you alright? Where are the others?" He stumbled over his words like a horse over hurdles.

William was immediately at Marian's side as she caught her breath. "I'm fine," she said. "But Alan, he was taken and one of your friends were injured."

Maggie shot through the treeline so fast Niki had to take a moment to register it before pursuing her, with Charlie following closely behind.

"Maggie, Wait!" Shouted Niki, determined to stop her friend from entering a place of almost certain danger.

Nikita came to an abrupt stop behind Maggie who had crashed down onto the muddy floor where Kalen lay sprawled amongst the flowers and nettles that covered the ground.

Thalia was by his side, of course, she wouldn't leave him if the world was ending. Her expression was a worried one and one of shock. Her hair was all over, a stray leaf had tied itself firmly into a knot that Charlie picked out as she surveyed her.

"What happened?" Maggie asked as Niki fell to her knees next to him, Charlie checking him over for injuries.

"Will he be okay?" Thalia asked just what Niki was about to, ignoring Maggie's question.

"I think- I think he's just had a nasty head injury, might need medicine. Our medicine." She added, backing off to talk to Will about help.

Maggie sighed placing a hand on Kalen's arm and briefly shutting her eyes, muttering whatever prayer she could to her ancient goddesses and gods.

Niki wished she had a belief like Maggie and her own parents, to be able to turn to some all-powerful-being in her times of utter heartbreak and despair, but she had since given up on it all. So she wondered now, whom she may rely on for help, hoping for some divine intervention to swoop in and save the day.

But she knew no higher being would help her, so for now, she turned to Thalia. Thalia had never let her down before, and wouldn't for a while. "Help me get him back to camp," Niki said. "Thalia." She repeated again when Thalia didn't move.

Immediately she snapped out of her trance and helped carry Kalen as she looped his arm around her neck along with Niki.

They set him down in the makeshift shelter Will had helped make for them on their first day. Maggie settled next to him, a damp cloth and a wooden cup of water for him to sip on was in her hands.

Niki could only watch as Marian bandaged his head with some torn up cloth and a strange-looking green paste that she swore would help it heal and clean.

The night went on and it was getting dark, Charlie had gone with Marian to help find firewood again. Will sent Much back home and ordered him to stay there for his own safety and Robin and John, along with the Friar began to plan a search for Allan, whom had been taken in the panic and was now missing.