Chapter 23 - Charlotte

Chapter Twenty-Three

Charlotte

Mrs. O'Donnell stood across from me tapping her fingers rhythmically against her chin. "I don't know, Charlie..." she murmured reluctantly. "I think you should take a bit more time off school to try and adjust to the changes in your life."

"I've already been off for four days, and I really want to go tomorrow." I absently stirred a spoon around the cereal in my bowl. It was Sunday afternoon, but I was having a late breakfast to avoid bumping into the Hillside House means girls. "I can't afford to take this much time off School – my grades will drop, and I won't get the Scholarship I applied for."

She gave me an empathetic look before finally sighing in defeat. "Okay, fine. I'll go to Linshore High tomorrow and get you enrolled."

"W-what?" I dropped my spoon, my face paling as I stammered, "I'm being t-transferred?"

Tentatively, Mrs. O'Donnell nodded her head. "Eastcoast Public High School is an hour and a half drive from here-"

"Rayden said Bridgewalk was only an hour away," I cut her off, panic taking root inside me.

She gave me a disapproving look before saying, "Maybe the way he drives, but if you are sticking to the speed limit, then it takes an hour and half. Linshore High is only fifteen minutes away, and all the kids living here go there."

"Please, Mrs. O'Donnell, don't make me transfer schools. Any little discrepancies in my grades and extracurricular activities could be what makes or breaks my chances of getting that Scholarship. I'm already in band, the chess club, and I help out with the School Newsletter at Eastcoast High, and I'm enrolled in all the advanced classes that Linshore High doesn't offer." I stared up at her with wide, terrified eyes and pleaded, "Please, Mrs. O'Donnell – I'll even get up extra early to take a bus or train to Bridgewalk. I've lost so much already, please don't make me lose this too."

She ran her hand down her face wearily, but slowly started to nod her head. "Okay, Charlie. I can see how important this is too you, so I will make a few inquiries to the agency and see what we can come up with. In the meantime, is there anyone you can get to pick up some homework for you?"

My thoughts instantly went to Karla, but then I thought about Christian and Cecilia. I couldn't face any of that – not right now. My heart was too tender and I was afraid I wouldn't be strong enough to hear the truth. If anything was happening between Christian and Cecilia that would be the first thing Karla blurted out.

I kept trying to remind myself that Cecilia was a muliputative B-word, and that Christian would never stoop so low as to waste his times with her, but I couldn't think of any other explanations for why Cecilia would be answering Christian's personal cell phone.

"Not really," I finally admitted. "But I could take a bus to Bridgewalk tomorrow and pick up the homework myself."

"No you won't" Mrs. O'Donnell slowly smiled. "I'll drive you tomorrow myself."

"Thank you so much Mrs. O'Donnell." I jumped off the stool and went around the breakfast bar to give her a hug.

She laughed and padded my back. "If I'd known this was all it took to break you out of your shell, I would have offered you homework days ago." When I pulled away, I was smiling. She tilted her head toward the breakfast bar, and added, "Now don't forget to clean up your dishes. I really do hate clutter."

Nodding, I reached for my bowl as she walked out of the kitchen. I was looking forward to going to Bridgewalk tomorrow to get homework, nothing made me feel better than submerging myself into my studies.