Chapter 22 - Charlotte

Chapter Twenty-Two

Charlotte

I spent the rest of Thursday and all of Friday curled up on my bed. Ignoring the other girls' comings and goings, I read and reread The Golden Book of Fairy Tales, clinging desperately to the only thing that linked me to a life I could no longer go back to. Between reading Fairy tales I yearned for and having naps filled with nightmares, I spent my time thinking about Christian and Karla.

An internal battle between my heart and head consumed me. The need for comfort and familiarity begged me to call at least one of them; whereas, my brain demanded I stay far away for fear of more hurt and distress. Although Karla would never do anything to cause me pain, I knew that if I called her, I couldn't refrain from asking about Christian.

But when I woke up Saturday morning, I finally convinced myself that I needed to call them. I wanted someone to confide in and the girls at Hillside House were still no closer to warming up to me than they were when I first got here.

Unfortunately, when I finally turned on my cellphone, I realized it was disconnected.

I laid on my bed staring forlornly at my useless phone. Leaving the comfort and security of my bed was the last thing I wanted to do, but then my roommates, Liz and Summer, trotted into the room talking animatedly.

Suddenly, the thought of leaving the room was much more appealing.

Neither girl acknowledged my existence, walking over to Liz's bed they sat down and continued to gossip about some guy named Rayden. Although I never met him yet, I knew he was another foster kid here because my roommates never shut up about him. Apparently he was quite the thrill seeker, spending most of his leisure time doing things like cliff diving, street racing, and anything else that made his blood boil, but when he was at the group home, he ignored everyone except the house parents and Danny.

Summer glanced my way and lowered her voice so I couldn't hear what she was saying. Soon after meeting Summer outside on the porch, she grouped up with the other three girls and now all four treated me like the black plague.

Liz turned to me with a sardonic grin and said aloud, "I know, she's pathetic."

I tensed when I realized they were talking about me. Grabbing my hoody, I put it on and pulled up the hood in an attempt to hide myself from them. With downcast eyes, I headed for the door and made my way downstairs.

My heart ached, I needed someone to talk to, or merely find some semblance of comfort in.

Grabbing the landline in the hallway outside the kitchen, I dialed Karla's number first but it kept ringing until I got her voice mail. She probably forgot it on do not disturb – she had a bad habit of doing that. Taking a deep breath, I punched in Christian's cellphone number.

"Hello?" A girl's voice drawled.

I stiffened, taking a moment to find my voice. "H-hi ... is this Christian's phone?"

"Yes, it is." I recognized that voice.

Swallowing the large lump forming in my throat, I faintly stammered, "C-Cecilia?"

She snickered. "Well, aren't you just the brightest crayon. So how is little orphan Charlie?" she asked mockingly. "I heard about how your dad beat your mom to death – and right in front of you too – that's too bad. Admittedly, I'm a bit envious of you – parents are such a drag."

"Where's Christian?" I cut her off, feeling my panic rise.

"Oh, he's a bit preoccupied at the moment," she purred. "I will tell him you called, but I can't guarantee he'll call back."