-Chapter 7-

(A/n:  Rule of Wolves (the sequel of King of Scars) came out a couple of days ago, and for my sake and others please please please don't comment any spoilers about it.)

"If we have to stay here one more night, I'm going to riot." Genya groaned.

I chucked. The inn that we were staying at was indeed a downgrade from Little Palace, but let's be honest, what wasn't? We had been staying here for about two days, trying to find a ship that we could rent, or buy, and the process was very slow.

"Well at least we have a roof over our heads." I said, as I changed out of my kefta into a plain shirt and jacket, leaving my leather leggings and boots on. Apparently we had to keep our status low, and that meant no kefta.

Like a group of 15+ people renting rooms at the same inn wasn't suspicious.

"I suppose." She sighed, changing out of her kefta as well.

As we came down the stairs It seemed like this was the time where it's business boomed. Everyone was chatting with one another, sipping kvas, or playing cards, hiding away from the storm outside .

"I'll never get used to the stench." She said, crinkling her nose in distaste. "I can smell the salt from here."

"Indeed." I replied, scoping out for a table that was free for use.

As I did, I noticed that the Darkling was seated at a table by the fireplace, with Ivan standing beside him. And of course that would be normal, if not for the empty seat across from him. It was almost as if they were waiting for someone. I was taken out of my daze by Genya. Apparently she had found a table and was now dragging me towards it. She and I had gotten closer these past days, I guess I could call her a close friend, well, for now.

We sat at a table in the corner of the room, one away from where the Darkling was seated.

"Stew or fish?" She asked, flipping through the menu.

"Do you think he's waiting for someone?" I replied instead of answering, not taking my eyes off the mysterious Grisha. He sat in the chair, covered in furs and looking into the fire. The light illuminating the scars he received in the fold.

"Who?" She asked, sighing and setting the menu down. I nodded my head towards the Darkling.

"Oh—." She started, but hadn't had the chance to finish.

The door of the inn swung open, the picture frames rattling off the wall. Now, everyone had stopped to take a look at what all the commotion was.

First, a Shu man entered, he almost had to duck to enter the doorway, turning his broad shoulders sideways to fit though the frame. The broad sword strapped to his back glinting in the lantern's light. His golden flecked eyes shone as he took his hood off, they scanned the bar, looking for someone. They eventually landed on the Darkling, who was paying no attention to the entrance of the Shu man. He motioned for someone behind him to come in after he slowly made his way over to the fireplace.

Second came a shorter figure, but after she took off her hood I could tell she could kill anyone in a second. A Shu woman with short hair, and also golden eyes. Twins perhaps? After her piercing gaze spotted the Shu man she made her way over to him. Her cloak shifted slightly to show the heads of two twin axes, their blade sharpened enough to slice bones as if they were butter.

But those two did not sit in the chair that was left across from the Darkling, but they stood beside it, as what it seemed to be... guards?

The last figure then came into view. A boy— a man almost. He was tall, around my age, his nose had been broken a couple of times by the looks of it. One hand rested on the pommel of his sword and with the other he ran a hair through his damp, unusually coloured auburn hair. His muddy green eyes scanning the room for his companions.