#22: Panic

By now, it was probably well into breakfast hour, yet Levi was still in bed.

Surprisingly, he had fallen asleep right when he'd put his head on his pillow the night before. He'd been so tired and bombarded with new information that his brain barely could handle it. Now there he was, looking at the ceiling, trying to process everything that had happened.

They'd found both the Colossal and the armored titan in one night, hiding amongst the cadets; talk about a step forward. They'd been able to capture and immobilize them, all because of [Y/N].

While he'd been shocked to find them out, he knew Erwin had been expecting it. The bastard had probably already guessed both titan shifters were in his ranks, but just hadn't figured out whom. That's why he hadn't given Eren's position in the expedition to anyone that had joined after the fall of Maria.

There was no telling how much information they could milk out of the two fuckers. He'd probably be asked to go torture them that very night, along with four-eyes.

After that, they'd found out [Y/N] was from outside. While he'd felt betrayed at first, he quickly caught on that she hadn't meant to hide anything from them. After all, she had no proof, and just bluntly stating it in front of the wrong people would have likely earned her a trip directly into the afterlife. He knew Erwin understood that more than anyone, so he couldn't be upset about it.

Still, Levi's mind lingered back to what the colossal had said.

"No one of your race here" ? Did that mean there were different races of human beings? Or more like, ethnicities? Erwin had mentioned that to him before, saying his father had speculated there was more to the human race than just the people we see in the walls. If that proved true, then it'd explain [Y/N] appearance.

That didn't matter, Levi decided. She was just as human as they all were.

He thought back to the night before, when she'd sat down and told them what she knew of the outside. Granted, it was very little, but it still was something. He'd seen the hope in Erwin's eyes, recognizing he was getting closer and closer to the truth.

Erwin, Levi thought. The man he entrusted his life to. The only one who's orders were absolute at all times.

He could not figure out why, but he couldn't help feeling a mix of sadness and envy whenever that man was around [Y/N]. The both of them were people he cared for a lot, so he shouldn't be feeling that way, right? He should be happy they were developing a bond.

Still, he had a selfish side that wished for her to give the same attention to him. He longed for her embrace again, the one he'd fell asleep in that one time. His blond counterpart seemed to get hugs constantly, contrary to him.

Levi wondered if his commander had had the privilege of going to dreamland in her arms, too. He wondered if she preferred to hold his bigger, more reassuring body rather than himself.

The thought was almost unbearable.

It was best to snap out of this little mental fit, he decided. He ought to get up soon. He had shit to do and brats to order around.

Reluctantly, he sat up in his bed and put his head in his hand, feeling the sun hit his bare back.

For some unknown reason, this morning was harder to start than usual, even though he'd gotten somewhat decent sleep.

~~~
Today was a strange day.

At breakfast, Levi had been nowhere to be seen, much to [Y/N] dismay.

On his end, Eren had finally came out of his room, noticing something was off about three of his friends.

The rest of the 104th were on another base, so Jean was the only one utterly clueless about the whole situation.