SEVENTEEN

•SEVENTEEN•
Amara

I sit in the library alone, working on my essay when I feel an annoying shadow loom over me.

I look up to see Marie staring down at me.

I release a sigh and give her a sarcastic smile. "Can I help you your highness?" I raise my eyebrows and she rolls her eyes, taking a seat in the chair across from me.

"There's something about you, Amara." She leans forward and begins to inspect me. "What is it?" She tilts her head.

"I dunno, you tell me." I shrug, continuing to write out my notes. When she doesn't say anything I look up to see her observing me. "No offence but you're freaking me out, stop staring at me like that." I give her a weird look and she clenches her jaw, standing up from her chair.

She doesn't say anything and walks away.

"Fucking bitch." I mumble and continue with my work like she was never here. I don't have time for people like Marie who think they are better than everyone else.

"What was all that about?" I take a deep breath, annoyed that I've been interrupted for a second time and look up at Zion.

"She's just being annoying. What do you want?" I question.

"Jeez. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" He laughs, taking the chair Marie previously sat on.

"No, Zion. I'm just getting a little annoyed that people are coming over and distracting me when it's clear I'm trying to get on with my work." I give him a tight-lipped smile and he slowly nods his head.

"Sorry." He holds his hands up in defence. I nod my head thinking that he will stay quiet until he pulls out a packet of crisps and begins to chew obnoxiously loud.

"Fuck this." I slam my laptop down, putting it away in my bag before storming out of the library.

"Amara!"

"Shhh!" I hear the library woman hush him just before I walk through the exit.

I'm meant to have a lesson soon but all I want to do is go home, climb into bed and cry for no apparent reason.

Fuck it!

I walk off of campus and get into my car, deciding to go and get a Starbucks. It's about a fifteen minute drive until I find the closest one on the high street.

I park my car and then make my way into the coffee shop. I order a latte and begin my wait for my order. As I'm waiting my phone begins to blow up and my eyes widen when I see it's Matthew asking me where I am.

M- Are you okay, baby?

M- You're not in lesson. Has something happened? Please reply.

M- Let me know you're okay at least. Please.

A- I'm fine, I just didn't want to go to lesson today.

M- Okay baby. I'll pick you up later.

"Amara!" I look up to see the lady holding my drink.

"Thank you." I smile and walk out of the shop. I turn left and end up bumping into a tall figure.

"Sorry." They mumble and then rush off before I can even say a word. I turn around with wide eyes to see the retreating figure. Their rugged clothes clearly tells me they are homeless. My eyes fall to the person's bare arm and I feel my heart begin to beat frantically against my rib cage as I notice the familiar tattoo.