Their Darkness Revealed

"Secretes come with a price Peter."

He remembered his aunt Mays voice wobbly and desperate as he evaded her gaze, not even feeling the throbbing of bruises on his face as he had spent another rage filled night looking for a man in sunglasses and a star tattoo.

 The words echoed true and held tight to him as he exited the aircraft in almost a daze as every camera and face turned his way. 

He numbly took in the sight of a gaping Mike from the daily Bugle lowering his camera to stare at Peters small wings with his own eyes.

Even Eddie Brock was there a hand on his hip as he surveyed Peter walking down silently. Peter tried to tune out all the reporters and continued to walk.

His thoughts went back to that night, to what his aunt had urgently told him in their kitchen. It helped keep his mind off the current situation as he neared the crowed, thinking to when she had tried to shake sense into him. 

Should he had just revealed himself to her then? To save her this pain that was surely truly coming to her now? Perhaps if he did Mr. Stacy would not have died, nor would Gwen. Harry would be fine. All could possibly went well had he not felt the need to cling to his secret of Spider-Man.

But now so much hinged on that one secret. 

One lie that had webbed into many and built such a foundation that, without it, would break apart collapsing all that Spidey himself had built. Spider-Man had very much so became his own self, and Peter couldn't take that away.

Peter Parker, with all his own accomplishments, had far less weighing on him. He blinked as a bright flash filled his gaze as another camera pressed closer.

 Tony in the Iron Man suit had slowly led him over to Cap whom he stood next to like a lifeline, taking slow deep breaths as more and more reporters asked questions. Who was he? What did he do for a living? How had he hidden his wing identity so? Was he apart of the avengers? Stark corporation?

All these questions and more. Had Spider-Man shown his wings, the questions wouldn't be so harmless, so innocent. 

He imagined Fisk smirking in a court room, weaving a tale of self-pity as to all those years wrongly imprisoned. He had spent a large portion of his teenage years and early adult life to put the man behind bars. He had lost out on so much just for one of the most major crime lords, and

Cap and Tony where trying to tone the reporters down and when Peter looked up past a particularly bright flash, he saw Deadpool, standing stark still hands flexing watching from the aircraft. 

The medias full attention was on Peter Parker right now. Not Spider-Man. Peter looked to Pool, knowing they didn't have all day and needed to start investing the other ravens and the experiments. But that was Spider-Man. Not Peter, who was needed right now. Peter needed to find his own strength, not one that was brought on by the donning of a mask, not as Spider-Man.

"I am-my. . . my name is Peter Parker," his voice which had began to shake rose in volume, and the reporters silenced," I am a 24 year old student currently attending Empire State University for my masters in biophysics and doing grad research, and for years I have identified as..as a brown. No one has ever challenged that. And for me, to stand here and show you my true color. . . why should it change the way people see me? Why should it matter at all? For- for years I have lived life with others, no criminal record and working and going to school- just as any brown would. Why would coming out as a Raven have any impact on how I- how I am accepted? "

"Have you any affiliation with the organization that attacked Stark Towers or with the avengers themselves?"

"No," Peter shook his head looking earnestly at the cameras," The only affiliation I had was I worked for Mr. Stark years ago and I told him I was a brown on my resume. Nothing ever came up about my wing color and I don't see why it would."